Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

Silicone vines? That would be very cool . Will also be a little more flexible than plastic so it wouldn't deflect as much air either .
    Silicone is a possibility. I was thinking maybe more like plastic coated wire, or yarn or something like that.

But it will all have to come together fast, since we don't have an eternity to make the cases. So time is my biggest issue with using exotic materials. I will probably just get a bunch and then have left overs.

I went to a local Blick's Art supplies, they had the stuff I need in stock. They carried both type 1 and type 2 balsa foam, type 2 being the harder of the pair. But truthfully, the type 1 is pretty dang stiff as well. Either one glued to a computer case as it's skeleton should be fine. And the stuff is great to carve, you can smack it and it doesn't take too much marring, but you could still carve it with a fingernail if you wanted to. It's a great material.

I admit I was a little timid in my first carving here, even though it's just a test. I'm going to go nuts and carve something more challenging, and see if I can do it faster. That first bit took me about 1.5 hours.

looks great nice idea of using the balsa foam looks good and it is easy to cut keep up the good work

Quick update.
    Using the Type 1 Balsa foam, although softer and quicker to cut, doesn't tend to hold details as well. I did a test on a block of the stuff, and although I love what I came up with I may need to cast it in something harder to preserve it's shapes.
    I had an idea to put this right under the headphone hanger area (gee, I hope that it's close to an approximately right size).

The guy I modeled him after was a Mayan Chief statuette, but I gave him headphones and a Xbox like controller.

Dude, that's some amazing carving skills. You might be able to coat him with some clear fixative or something so he doesn't deteriorate.

Love the controller & headphones! Looks like he's got an LCD screen on his head too lol.

Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure what to do on the head yet, it was meant to be a headdress, but I turned towards the gamer guy and ignored the head part for now. Something will turn up.

By the way, this case is monstrous! I am finally in the presence of one and it's quite intimidating.

Still not as big as my last mod though so I will just soldier on and get to work now.

I love it! This is full of awesome already! I'm glad I voted for this mod design!

I know this might sound odd, but when i was doing some stuff in foam and wanted to paint it (in case you don't know spray paint will melt foam) so I had to find something I could put over the foam. Going through some forums one guy said he had done some movie set work and they use.... Elmer's Glue!

Water it down and paint it on and it makes a hard cover over the foam. I tried it and it work!

btw... you make me sick with your mad craving skillz!

I know this might sound odd, but when i was doing some stuff in foam and wanted to paint it (in case you don't know spray paint will melt foam) so I had to find something I could put over the foam. Going through some forums one guy said he had done some movie set work and they use.... Elmer's Glue!

Water it down and paint it on and it makes a hard cover over the foam. I tried it and it work!

btw... you make me sick with your mad craving skillz!
    Thanks monkeyfun and Dewayne!

Dewayne, that is a great idea! I was thinking of some kind of fixatif, overcoat of some kind. But apparently this stuff responds really well to most acrylic paints at least. It doesn't have a melting point and aside from it's fragility before painted it's a great product. I may still end up making a cast of it if I get twitchy.

I will try the Elmer's Glue trick on the idol first to see how well it works; I may still end up making a cast of it if I get twitchy. The foam is micro-porous, it soaks glue up like a sponge. (I've got a picture of a weight test I did by just gluing the type 1 and type 2 pieces together.*)

I was trying to make a mockup of the case with mat board, but it's a bit on the heavy side, so I might just forgo that step and start pasting it to the box and carve like a madman.

I got some graphite transfer paper so I can print out my designs and copy them right on to the prepared foam.

*Pics update in a day or two.

P.S. I am thinking of maybe, if time allows, to put in some kind of countdown timer. That calendar is only good until Dec. 21, 2012.

A few tiny updates for you guys.
    The foam is kinda expensive and they already ran out in the city. So I need to order more online soon.
    I do have enough to keep myself busy while the shipment comes though.

Here's a pic of the foam glued to itself, type 1 and 2 (2 is the darker color). I hung my size 13's off there and put the glue bottle up too. I was afraid it would break but it never did. Strength test *passed*.
    By the way, Gorilla Glue, amazing stuff. A little harder to work with, but it thrives on humidity, and it bonds like crazy.

I even broke the foam apart just to see how deep it penetrated.

I flipped the doors inside out to give somewhere to grab on to the disk trays to still be able to yank them out.

I'm just gluing and clamping as I go, getting the ball rolling so to speak.

I decided that I want to keep the Level 10 GT logo on that side of the case, I don't think it will detract from the overall looks there.

My trusty graphite paper for transferring the calendar art.

Much of the rest of the case will be carved on the fly, this needs meticulous planning and setup though.

**While working on the case, amazingly enough, I've only found one complaint about a case that has all these fantastic features. The one thing I noticed about the front "security" lock is that even though it works, you can still just rip the spring clipped front off the machine and pop the hard drives that way. The side one seems more reliable as a minor theft deterrent.**

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information