Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

By the way, Gorilla Glue, amazing stuff.
    That glue is awesome! They have two kinds, normal all purpose glue and wood glue. I have used both and they are great but the wood glue is by far the best wood glue I have ever seen. One day when working with my first mod made of wood I used the gorilla wood glue and found out that I made a mistake, I didn't use nails on this small piece of wood just the wood glue so I figured I could just knock it out with a hammer, boy was I wrong. I ended up breaking it off in little bits and at the end the only thing that was left was the gorilla glue and about 1/4 inch of wood on it, I actually had to grind the glue and leftover wood off.

Gorilla glue is some serious sh*t!

If you can get it, use it.

Interesting so far....You have some major carving skills there!! I'm fully following this one. I can't wait to see the final product man...Good work!!

Thanks for the confidence guys.

Well, so far so... meh. After a full twelve hours of transferring the calendar drawing... twice!!! The results are less than spectacular. I will carve on, and see what I can make of it. If I have to fall back to using some Super Sculpey and making casts or molds out of the repeatable pieces, then so be it. But the project will be moving forward!

I'm even thinking of looking into 3d printing with [web]http://www.shapeways.com/[/web] if I cannot get my idea flowing. I am tackling what I think it the hardest and most intricate of the entire project first. That way if I have to backpedal a little, I will still have plenty of time.

Ill put up a progress pic tomorrow night most likely. It much easier to see the transfer lines and carve in daylight than by my home lighting. Not to mention the claw-like hand I'm forming from drawing so many tiny circles over and over.

Okay, so the area I didn't know what to do with was perfect to make another logo, this time the ESports dragon suited the rectangle well. It even kinda looks like it.

Then the transfer of the drawing, a second time, I was able to find a better picture to base it off of, pure line art is more helpful here. But the transfer was still pretty lackluster.

I started carving on it anyway, hoping to just figure some of it out as I go along, thankfully it's a very repetitive design, despite the intricacies.

That's about where I was at 5PM today. It's not getting easier, but I'm less timid with the sculpting medium now so I'm moving a bit faster. It'll still take me about a full 6-7 days of sculpting on and off to get it done though. Then on to the rest of the case!

Dang.

Jaw dropping worklog... O.O

I wish you the best, sir!

Dang.
    I think we better step it up bud...

amazing work on the calendar. It makes me want to get back into block printing.

Pic dump update. From where I was to where I am is HUGE in terms of details and time... lots and lots of time spent scratching away.
    Sculpting to me in this way is more about attrition; what will give in first, me or the medium.

There's more to it than just cutting away what I don't want. Sometimes I have to work at different depths, and with different textural styles. But mostly I just scratch away, a millimeter at a time.

The dust gets everywhere, I do wear a particle mask most of the time though.

Since I can't blow the dust off the object, and I can't use a paintbrush most of the time to dust either (it will wipe away the transfer marks I haven't etched yet), I use our kid's booger sucker bulb from when she was an infant. It's got a new life, and I'm so very glad I never threw it away!

Here's a side by side comparison of the level of detail I have achieved with the one on the left, vs. the etched one on the right.

And a close up, I love cheap macro extensions for SLR's

That awesome man i love it this case will be so nice

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information