Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

I really dunno what to say to this.... besides the fact that I want one of the Mayan guys wearing a shock headset for my desk

Haha, thanks Tt! And greatsatan!

Monkey, it's a patching material, I've experimented with various fillers. And none of them have been all that great, this stuff smells insane, it's loaded with toluene, and it melts plastic sort of, but it works on the foam and it's still sandable.

The HDD area got a makeover, coincidentally, it ended up almost exactly like my initial design drawing.
    I wanted to make them like the below pic, at first, but it was too hard to grab them and pull them out.

So I had to cut the grab rail out and back set it. did some more plastic grinding and filing along the way.

More detail shots, this took about an entire day. But it's done on that area and moving on!

And then I moved back to the calendar side to finally finish that up. This part I'm so very happy with I might even have to etch a signature on the area.

do you have a Museum near you ؟؟؟ they should Leave a place for this case

Banned

Wow bro, this is by far my fave so far! I mean, I really like modscases and Boddaker's too, but this just blows me away I'm all giddy just looking at the awesome pics!

Wow bro, this is by far my fave so far! I mean, I really like modscases and Boddaker's too, but this just blows me away I'm all giddy just looking at the awesome pics!
    Yes this thing is just ridiculous.

I can't wait to see it painted!

Holy crap dude.... I mean, come on.... just.. DUDE!!

You know, I had a feeling about this design when I first saw it. Yeah it didn't look like much, sketched out by pencil on a piece of paper, but somehow I knew this would turn into an awesome mod (which is why I voted for it). And boy was I right!

Simply amazing work man, and modscases is right. This thing could hold its own next to real Mesoamerican artifacts in the museum lol.

Monkey, it's a patching material, I've experimented with various fillers. And none of them have been all that great, this stuff smells insane, it's loaded with toluene, and it melts plastic sort of, but it works on the foam and it's still sandable.
    Any shots of the patching material or a brand name? I'm really interested in using some of these materials and would love to hear about any of the troubles and victories you've had with it.

WOW! Thanks guys, it really makes all the insane work and hours I've toiled over this thing worth it to read all your praise.

And I've come up with a name, "AzTtec"

Any shots of the patching material or a brand name? I'm really interested in using some of these materials and would love to hear about any of the troubles and victories you've had with it.

On materials, starting left to right:
    1)Gorilla glue, insane hold, and hard to clean up if you make a mess, less is more, due to it's expansion rate as it dries. You can make a patch with this stuff, it will fill cracks and holes, but it runs a lot for the first 15-35 mins of it's time out of the bottle.
    2)Wood glue, or even basic craft glue, mixed with some kind of medium. This is a great and cheap filler, use a 50/50 mix of saw dust (or in my case, foam dust, I have a jelly jar full of clean dust). And this is a really rock hard mixture, it will smooth out a bit and it's still sand-able. But it will be tougher than the material around it when sanding. You need to be careful you might not sand as much of it as you do your project.
    3)Lightweight spackling paste. This is a cheap wall filler, for small holes and cracks. Using too much of the stuff isn't recommended, in my opinion. It never seems to fully cure until you've painted it, but I think you can use andy kind of oil or acrylic to cover over it without problems.
    4)This last stuff is a small tube, bought at a hobby shop. It has Toluene/Toluol in it so it will melt plastic a tiny bit as it dries. But not enough to cause warpage, it tends to just strengthen the bond. Just don't use a plastic tool to apply it. I use wood as an applicator, an old clay sculpting tool. It dries fast, depending on thickness, and sands very well.

Any of these when you sand them they make a ton of mess and I highly recommend using a mask, I don't even want to know what the green stuff would do to prolonged exposure in a lung.

These are all along the craft side. Heavier duty stuff for computer modding has got to be in the epoxy range. But any names atm escape me.

Thanks again guys, really!

Well, except for a tiny little device to operate the side fan louvers, and the feet, I think I'm finally done sculpting.

The next part is kind of critical now, as I would like to lay paint on it, but without destroying any details. So several thinned coats is probably the way to go. I also need to prime the exposed black areas still, but there really isn't much of that left, is there?

A sliding mechanism to cover the lock on the side. It's actually still removable if you take off the side fan cover. I like to engineer things like that.

And a FRAG count for our little gamer guy. (I saw a picture of a wall that was all skulls like this, and thought this was a good place for them.

Finally did something around the window area.

And, of course, the fan is still going to be operational, as well as access to the removable fan screen.

More details.

Thanks for looking!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information