Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

Banned

dmcgrath - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - Mayan Mod

If a mod could cause a man to have a tent-pole issue, this would be in the top 3. Yes I went there, lol.

If a mod could cause a man to have a tent-pole issue, this would be in the top 3. Yes I went there, lol.
    Haha the guys at Bit-Tech went beyond that.

Thanks for the praise. And yes, I did do a recoat on the bad spots to bring it all together. It wasn't as bad as I thought, thankfully I'm getting better with an airbrush.

I may use a wash on the last coat to dirty it back up, good call on using a different color than black.

And the moss is getting used to do exactly what you mentioned, Bod.

That is so amazing!

Love the wash look. I like it without the moss but then I sort of think it would really make it even more realistic considering a lot of the temples are in or near jungle areas.

This is really a true piece of art.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw my mod in the garbage. :P

Banned

lmao

lmao
    HAHA OMG, well, thanks for the tip of the hat, or in this case, the tip of your mod into the trash. lol

Okay, photo dump in progress:

Here is a few happy detail shots of the successful drybrushing effect I'm getting.

I also decided last night that I no longer liked the lock cover on the door. It was a sliding piece, and it never really sat well with me. SO I redesigned it to be exactly like the one in the front. Piece of cake.

Here's the easy way to use that moss stuff, in case you ever want to use it yourself. I used a small paintbrush to apply some simple PVA/Elmer's type glue.

Then pack the foam into the area, don't be shy, you can press it into place or just sprinkle it on, if your project is laying relatively flat.

Then just wait, and use a larger bristled brush to remove the excess, into a bag/container for reuse.

I then wanted to make some vines. This was problematic, I tried using paper, yarn, string, glue, and a couple other idea. They all kinda failed for one reason or another.
    Then I tried to use hot glue.
    This seemed like a good idea.
    I tried making some onto foil, but they stuck to the foil. Then I tried wax paper... stuck to the paper, then the glass tray from my microwave. They stuck too well to that also.

I ended up drawing vines directly onto the places where I wanted them.
    And painted it to see if I was headed in the right direction.
    Happily, I believe I was.

I needed leaves, for the vines to look somewhat less crappy.
    So I made some out of Super Sculpey, then hot glued them down and painted them.

e/mayan_Mod_dmc193.jpg" alt="" />

I also needed to do the other side door fan. I think this turned out really well so far.

**DESIGN MOD TIP***
    As another idea. This stuff (hot glue) is pretty neat as a design material. I wanted to make a mod with veins on the outside of it someday. (Veins, just vines without leaves). The clear sticks of glue I'm using really scatter light well also. They would look pretty amazing lit up.

And some leaves added.

And base coat. Time to let it dry.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is light at the end of my tunnel! This mod is almost done I think!

DAYUM BOI!!!

8O

Ok, now you're starting to piss me off with the little microphone and headset markings! :P

Seriously, this is top notch model making right here. Even the details have details!

Banned

Well at least I now know the new material I'll be using to make scenery for Warhammer and other minis games, and stop-motion vids, lol. Awesome stuff!!! Btw, for using hot glue, you can buy an inexpensive silicone mat that is designed specifically for working with hot glue guns. It's made to be set under the gun for when excess glue runs out of the tip, and so it won't get on anything else. The dried/cooled glue just pulls right up off it no problem.

Well at least I now know the new material I'll be using to make scenery for Warhammer and other minis games, and stop-motion vids, lol. Awesome stuff!!! Btw, for using hot glue, you can buy an inexpensive silicone mat that is designed specifically for working with hot glue guns. It's made to be set under the gun for when excess glue runs out of the tip, and so it won't get on anything else. The dried/cooled glue just pulls right up off it no problem.
    Oh Jesus, you think I'd known that by now. lol. Thanks for the tip.

And guys thanks again. Did some touch ups following my last post. I think I got it done (ON THE DAY I WANTED TO NO LESS!!!)

Probably won't bother sending it back to Thermaltake until beginning of next week though. We have to go out and have a few beers before we part company. I'm kinda gonna miss this giant thing in my kitchen.

Okay, well, I think it's officially done.
    A few parting shots. In the best light I had available.

And I started to pre-pack the thing in it's original box. Of course there was a casualty.

Thankfully the stuff is easy to re-glue and it leaves no visible seam.

That is two errant finger nails. So it needs paint touch up. sigh...

Then the actual fitment and packing, I sawed and filed a TON of the original packing foam to fit.

But, the front needs to be shipped separately. It's rubbing in the box and I can't take the chance.

The top was just as messy, but not so bad placement wise. The Quetzalcoatl is wider and taller than the original handle so I had to split the foam to accommodate it.

Well, that is just about it for this thread. It's time for me to get to work on my daughter's Halloween costume, and pumpkins, and window decorations, and looking for a job. Etc.

Thanks for looking!

_dan mcgrath

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information