Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

awesome glad you got it!
    I am very grateful and happy with my new toys. My wife, however, feels you may be enabling my weirdness. She came home yesterday to find me in a fortress of the all the package boxes, cackling madly and hissing at anyone that got near my computer-loot. What? DON'T JUDGE ME!

awesome glad you got it!
    I am very grateful and happy with my new toys. My wife, however, feels you may be enabling my weirdness. She came home yesterday to find me in a fortress of the all the package boxes, cackling madly and hissing at anyone that got near my computer-loot. What? DON'T JUDGE ME!

awesome glad you got it!
    Nah more like this:

I feel for ya bro. I'll be that way when my Other sponsorship packages here here from Thermaltake and OCZ (to name a couple), and tons of materials to build this thing, I get livid when anyone gets near it cause I don't like things moved or touched until I get bored of them lol

I feel for ya bro. I'll be that way when my Other sponsorship packages here here from Thermaltake and OCZ (to name a couple), and tons of materials to build this thing, I get livid when anyone gets near it cause I don't like things moved or touched until I get bored of them lol
    Ooooo! OCZ, I'm jealous. I like to take some of their SSDs for a spin. My goal is to get to a level of quality that I can convince a GPU vendor to sponsor a build. My XFX Radeon 5750 is running low on life. It might not play the Batman: Arkham City I won. That and I'd REALLY like to water cool my GPU in this build... but there isn't a full cover waterblock for the 5750.

Update #6: Mistakes I can’t live with.

It’s been a busy week for me. I started a new job on Monday so I haven’t had as much time to work on the case as I would have liked… and what work I’ve done I am unsatisfied with. I did get the front and back panels cut, drilled and tapped to fit with the frame. As you can see here, I have all the tools necessary to do a great job tapping.

After I attached both front and back panels with a couple of screws, I was able to begin cleaning up the edges around the panels to making sure they fit just right. For the most part, I did a pretty good job. When cutting I tried channeling the attention of detail of Attila. The back panel was perfect.

But apparently my Attila mantra was slightly off. My table saw ended up chewing up a little bit too much edge on the front panel. I was hoping it was something I could correct… but when I placed the top and bottom pieces next to the front panel you can really see how far off it was…

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to buy another 18.5” x 12” piece to replace this panel. It’s just a little too off for me. I did, however cut the two panels for the top/mid/bottom sides. They are nice and straight and I just need to start bending them into place.

A buddy of mine came over to look at the progress. He questioned why I made the frame so sturdy and the side pieces 1/8”thick. I simply flipped the case over and stood on it (I’m 205lbs or 93kg) and said no reason. Next update will have pictures from the perspective of me standing on the case.

Saturday To-Do List:
    Buy a new sheet of aluminum to redo Windowed Panel
    Look for black ½” 6-32 flat head machine screws (stainless steel or zinc)
    Look for black ½” 6-32 pan head machine screws (stainless steel or zinc)
    Begin drilling/tapping the top/mid/bottom pieces
    Bend the top/mid/bottom pieces

Grats on the new job bro. I know starting a new one can be daunting and time consuming. I hope you like it though.
    I love how you are not afraid to fix the mistakes instead of patching them up and hiding them. That's the difference from an average mod and a spectacular one.
    But I'm afraid I am going to have to flog you if you don't show me more of this mod I really like it.

Oh forgot, about OCZ, they only sent me a 60 Gig Vertex 3 to put in the top of my mod. It was Kingston that jumped in with both feet and sent us a TON of stuff. Much respect for Kingston

Oh forgot, about OCZ, they only sent me a 60 Gig Vertex 3 to put in the top of my mod. It was Kingston that jumped in with both feet and sent us a TON of stuff. Much respect for Kingston
    Sweet, Their SSD look nice but it's too bad they don't have anything better than DR3-1866. Memory's one of the two areas I need to improve on my current rig: Memory and a GPU. My current board suports all the way up to 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200.

Can't you just fill that gap and sand it to blend it in? Or weld it up and grind it square?

Hate to see you start over.

Any hardware store should have the 6-32's your after. Even Home Depot or Lowes.

Can't you just fill that gap and sand it to blend it in? Or weld it up and grind it square?

Hate to see you start over.

Nah, $10 and I have another sheet. I know it adds up (and hopefully this will be the only large piece I screw up on) but I'm trying to hit an Attila level of aluminum perfection on this case. Which means an extreme attention to detail and making every part fit together like they were born that way.

Any hardware store should have the 6-32's your after. Even Home Depot or Lowes.
    I checked locally with Tacoma Screw and believe it or not they didn't have what I was looking for so I just ordered from McMaster-Carr:

Stainless Steel Flat Head Phillips Machine Screw, Black Oxide Finish, 6-32 Thread, 1/2" Length,
    packs of 100 per pack at $6.99

Black-Oxide Finish Pan Head phillips Machine Screw, 18-8 Stainless Steel, 6-32 Thread, 1/2" Length,
    packs of 100 per pack at $5.58

It's the Black Oxide finish that makes it different.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information