Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

Update #7: The Correction and Bending.

I'm still getting the hang of my new job but it is a lot of fun and very interesting. But enough of that, here's a couple of the pictures of the progress. I've actually got more done than I'm posting but only so much time in my days.

Replacing that front/side panel was the right thing to do. I am much happier with the results. Here is a comparison of the panels so you can see what the difference was with the mistake:

And here are two pictures of the frame with the front and back panels:

As you can see, I'm building to be tougher than it probably needs to be... but why not?

The top and side pieces will be two continuous pieces that run the perimeter of the case. In order to do this, I have a bit of bending to do.

I was incredibly careful, if not gentle with my bending. AFter cutting a line, I gently bent an angle. Then I'd reattach the piece and check. I'd take the piece off and bend it slightly again. Little by little, I got my bends just right.
    All I can say is my Attila mantra is starting to pay off. When you take your time and be extra careful, aluminum is easier to work than wood!

Tomorrow, I go to the printer to pick up some carbon paper and print a large version of the dragon to use as a pattern for the etching.

I'm also waiting for my package of screws to arrive. McMasters-Carr ended up having the Black Oxide screws I need.
    I'm still looking for the perfect scroll work to etch into the plastic cover panels for inside the case...

Thank you for reading!

Update #8: The Outsides.

Here’s some of the catch-up work-log.
    I finished getting the left and right front-top panels and bottom panel done. I also decided that I need more dragons in my basement for focus. The only poster I had from PAX with a dragon on it was a Dungeons and Dragons poster. But that’s ok, the red and black are right in line with this case.

The McMaster-Carr package arrived. So the screws you see holding the case together are only temporary. I want to have the real screws recessed so they’re not sticking out.

Next, I started fitting the Overkill "Honeycomb" 120mm Fan Grill to the front of the case.

Overkill "Honeycomb" 120mm Fan Grill

Here’s the planning for the dragon etching on the side-front-facing panel.

The next set will be for some of the inside fabrication and the etching. Thanks for reading!!

Looking good bud.

You will be a metal master before you know it!

Looking good bud.

You will be a metal master before you know it!
    Yeah, I figured I start with the most forgiving of mediums. But I really want to try my hand at some acrylic scratch builds. I have some interesting ideas of using heat to create spirals for a case.

Update #9: Placement.
    Sorry I haven’t had a post in a week but this new job has me very busy and I am planning a 200 seat LAN party in Seattle, WA, USA (with a casemod contest hopefully) with several of my associates. It doesn’t mean I’m not modding, just means I’ve been a little latent with my posts.

First things first, I’d like to introduce my latest addition to my project log. Gigabyte has been gracious enough to allow me to put one of their fine boards in my case: the GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3

This little MicroATX beauty is the perfect fit for this case. It’s form fitting, great on-board audio, 4 slots for RAM with a 32Gb max, SATA 6Gb connections, USB 3.0 ports, and the option for an SLI or Crossfire configuration. Now I just need to find two nice video cards to go into the case, otherwise I’ll just have to make do with my single XFX Radeon 5750.

I can’t wait to try the Cloud OC and see how it works as an Overclocking tool.

Now, on to the modding…
    I finally got the insides of the frame machined so that I could slip the fan in between the bars.

I’ve tried the placement of the radiator so that the intake is in a couple of different spots. I like this placement. But I think I’m going to have to mod the intake port so that it points toward the CPU rather than the 90 degree bend towards the bottom.

Here’s a view with the intake on the other side and the pump and reservoir placed for review.

Once more but with the PSU put in to measure spacing and review placement:

And now with the motherboard:

And finally with a single stunt video card (since the 5750 is in my current computer):

After seeing all of these things in place I’m confident this is going to be a killer case. It’s just going to take a little bit of finesse to get it all to fit together.
    To do list:
    - Mod the radiator intake to work with the case.
    - Fabricate a new reservoir that will have a downspout at the bottom for draining
    - Flip the fan guard on the PSU so it’s right side up.
    - Decide if I’m going to go dual or single GPU. Right now, cost is saying only one but who knows… maybe some mystery Christmas angel will help me find a way to get two cards in there.

Finally I’ll leave you with the start of my next post, the etching. Here’s the placement of the to-be etched dragon in the frame. Another update will be out soon!

Yay for parts! It's always a good idea to get some parts layed out so you make sure everything actually fits. And you know you didn't forget anything.

Hopefully you get that lan together. Depending on when it is I might be able to give you a hand.

Yay for parts! It's always a good idea to get some parts layed out so you make sure everything actually fits. And you know you didn't forget anything.
    I'm working on the motherboard tray right now... being 'hopeful' and designing it to have enough room for 2 GPUs. Of course I only have a single 5750... but dare to dream, right?

Hopefully you get that lan together. Depending on when it is I might be able to give you a hand.
    We are definitely getting the LAN together. It is only a matter of how awesome it will be. I've been told that first time LANs aren't exactly top of the list for sponsorships but I'm sure we can still throw together enough prize support for the tournaments to make it worth while. I'm working with our designers to get the webpage up this december and the word out starting with the new year.

Details so far (work in progress):

Emerald City LAN
    March 2-4th
    in South Seattle, address will be released closer to the date.

Tournaments: Battlefield3, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends
    Contests: Casemod Contest

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your LAN man. Wish I could come. I understand the work you have on your plate. So I imagine your worklog might be a bit slow coming unfortunately. Stick with it.

The lan is awful close to my cruise dates. Hmm I better check.

Emerald City Lan is good. Jet City Lan would sound cool too. Plus you could have a jet theme. RAWR!

Update #10: A little bit of LAN and Etching.

And on tenth update he said,”Let there be pictures.” Lots and lots of pictures.

First off, I got a chance to try out my new keyboard, headset and mouse at a LAN. My cohort Big Red throws small LAN parties on a semi-regular basis. There’s usually only about 20-25 people but they’re immensely fun and always filled with the best of people. I’m not going to show you the pathetic case I brought to this LAN. I’m too ashamed of it. The pathetic case is one of the many reasons I have to work on this Battle Dragon Bag Case. I appreciate TTeSports for giving me the opportunity to work on it.

Here 4 quick pictures of the LAN and then it’s back to the modding! First picture has all the things I need for a LAN:

I got seating next two parts of awesome: Beta_Angel and LordMoon (seen in this picture). LordMoon will be featuring some of our gaming antics for the local news. If you get a chance check out some of his review at http://www.nwcn.com/entertainment/game-reviews

The next two pictures were on the Friday night so it wasn’t as packed as it gets but you can see the setup:

Now, on to the modding:

First I had to get set the pattern onto the polycarbonate. This is where I noticed that the dragon was missing a leg… huh… I put the pattern and some carbon paper on the polycarbonate and traced away.

After I got done tracing the pattern, I added the missing leg and then used a black marker to make sure I didn’t wipe off the pattern.

Then I had to double checking the polycarbonate is big enough to be the window. I didn’t want to waste all of the time etching something that wasn’t going to fit.

I gathered up all of my needed supplies: A foam backing so I didn’t scratch up the opposite side, my dremel with a tip I like, blackberry-pear cider, and my Smith & Wesson “Elite” Safety Glasses courtesy of MNPCTech.

Then I got nervous. I had never etched before on polycarbonate… so I made a practice piece.

Tried my hand with a couple of different tips and tried some shading. I’m going to need a lot of practice with the shading. Cross-hatching is a little trickier with dremel.

But I felt fairly confident about my line work so I dove right in…

Here’s the view after I finished the initial line work:

And here’s the back view. I still have to peel off some of the plastic coating so it looks a bit more filled in than it actually is.

I’ll probably spend some more time touching up the line work and maybe get brave enough to fill in some of the scales.

That’s it for now. Thank you for reading!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information