Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

Battle Dragon Bag - Update #26 - 8/26/2012

Your alive?

Dude I wondered what happened to this mod.... er uh ... I mean you. :P

Glad to see you're still pressing ahead with this. Wish I was meeting up with you at PAX but I didn't get working on it in time. Plus, the wife is real tired of all this "stupid modding stuff" taking away from her "me time".

Have a great time for me!
    Awwww... my wife actually asked me if she could go to PAX to see me talk on the panel. We'll see if it's her cup of tea.

If you're going to the Nov. PDXLAN, we can catch up there. I'll bring the finished case down there for your inspection. I believe I'm right next to Boddaker and BarthBeavis is one table away. You know you want to do another modder's dinner. That way they can judge all the casemods when all the modders are neck deep in beers and bullshiting.
    I won't make the November one but I'll be there for the Feb. one. I'll be at GNWlan in September.

I won't make the November one but I'll be there for the Feb. one. I'll be at GNWlan in September.
    Oh well. September is OT month for me at work. I'm barely allowed out of the workplace let alone down south for a LAN. November falls into my 100 day break from work so it's all vacation for me.

-----------------

Quick status:

Another update will be up around Sunday/Monday. I'm in the middle of the mind-numbing process of sleeving all the cabling. Hopefully I get my parts back from Seattle Powdercoat on Friday as well. So there'll be lots to show and talk about! Yay!

Update #25:

Ten days ago, I dropped off nine pieces of the case (all of the outside pieces) with Seattle Powdercoat (http://www.seattlepowdercoat.com/). When I did this I specifically asked if the job could be completed in a week (part retuned Wednesday/Thursday. Thursday evening I called and they said that they would have to parts completed on Friday. On Friday I got two calls asking some questions and then was told to swing by the shop 15 minutes before closing. When I arrived only the secretary was still in the shop and the owner and all the other workers had gone home. She showed me what was completed. Only four parts, the one that were to have the red/black fade, had been worked on. The five parts, that were only to have a single color on them, hadn’t even been started.

…I was dismayed. I was polite and kept a nice face for the secretary (screaming foul obscenities in my head). I needed the parts to do lighting and to determine if I needed to shorten the PSU cabling. The secretary was not going to let me out of there with my parts. So I paid the full bill, $312 USD, for the four parts that they had “finished” and said I’d be back for the remainder of the parts on Monday.

This is what I walked away with:

Here are close-ups of the “fade”:

So I began, fixing my $300 paint job.

Here’s the near finished product:

And then I matched the frame so the clear strip windows will match the shell:

While I was doing all this work and the day was nice, I took the opportunity to address the beat up fittings I’m using. This is what they looked like before:

Of course, if painting your fittings isn’t your cup of tea and you can’t afford new ones, you could always try planting fittings in your garden and growing new ones.

While I was waiting for the powder coat painting to be finished I started preparing to do all my sleeving. I picked up some paracord.

Then I tried getting all of my pins out the hard way… by jamming two needles into each side of a pin and then yanking the cable out the back.

Once I did a couple the hard way, I tried using the tools MNPCTech provided me. It was much easier using the tool.

And then I accidentally tossed the tool while I was yanking on a cable and it landed on the insertion tip… and broke one of the prongs off. So, I went back to the hard way…

teafromanemptycup.com/casemods/battle_dragon/update25/pinshardway02.jpg" alt="" />

Here’s a small teaser of the cabling. I cabled the lighting cable (before/after):

That’s it for now.

Here’s my checklist until completion:

Pick up other pieces from Seattle Powdercoating
    Wire, solder, and install the strip LEDs on the light rails.
    Finish Cable Sleaving
    Assembly and Test

----------------------------
    If any of you are interested in seeing this case in person it will be at PAX PRIME 2012 (http://prime.paxsite.com/) and the November PDXLAN (http://www.pdxlan.net/portland/). As a side note, I’ll also be bringing the case to show at the panel I’ll be speaking at in PAX PRIME 2012. If you’re at PAX come see me talk about modding (yes, I know I’m probably the LEAST qualified person to talk about modding) with other crafty people of a geeky nature: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/for-the-love-of-making-geek-arts-and-crafts

I would be pissed at the powder coaters. I use Olympia Powder Coating and they've always treated me really good. I had tehm do a whole case that was completely torn apart so it was like 20 small pieces and they charged me $75. If I would have left it all together, they would only charge like $35. The fade is tricky I will admit. Better to do it with paint.

Looks cool though. Like the red stripe.

I would be pissed at the powder coaters. I use Olympia Powder Coating and they've always treated me really good. I had tehm do a whole case that was completely torn apart so it was like 20 small pieces and they charged me $75. If I would have left it all together, they would only charge like $35. The fade is tricky I will admit. Better to do it with paint.

Looks cool though. Like the red stripe.
    Olympia Powder Coating, huh? I'll have to look them up. I really liked how the black portion of the powder coat looked. If I end up doing another powder coat, I'll go with a single solid color and do all the detailing and secondary colors myself. Only $75??? That price might be worth the hour drive too. Do you get any cool referral if I say you sent me?

Update #26:

Am I allowed to post two updates within 24 hours? Am I breaking some Modder’s Code of Conduct? Bah, why not? I might as well get this tiny little update out before I go to sleep.

I started assembling the frame so it’ll be ready for me to do the fitting and wiring of the LED strips:

Once again a quick little peak of the case before everything gets put inside:

All of the fittings have been painted and dressed with their nifty little washers:

The cable sleeving is about 60% done. I’ve gotten all of the sleeves on the PSU. I still need to make the hole on the PSU slightly wider and do some touch up painting on the PSU. I also need to sleeve the Bulgin switches and the SATA HD power cable.

Here’s my checklist until completion:
    Widen cable hole on PSU
    Touch-up paint PSU
    Pick up other pieces from Seattle Powdercoating
    Wire, solder, and install the strip LEDs on the light rails.
    Finish Cable Sleaving (60% complete)
    Assembly and Test

We’ll see how many of these things I get checked off the list tomorrow… It’s cleaning day around the house so time will be a challenge. Thanks for reading!!

----------------------------
    If any of you are interested in seeing this case in person it will be at PAX PRIME 2012 (http://prime.paxsite.com/) and the November PDXLAN (http://www.pdxlan.net/portland/). As a side note, I’ll also be bringing the case to show at the panel I’ll be speaking at in PAX PRIME 2012. If you’re at PAX come see me talk about modding with other crafty people of a geeky nature: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/for-the-love-of-making-geek-arts-and-crafts

Update #27:

Well…. The couple of hours I was setting aside to do modding ended up getting side tracked by one of my neighbors that required tech support. I’m a sucker for an elderly neighbor that is fascinated by current technologies.

I did get some work done. The PSU is assembled and I just need to finish the last of the cabling at the other ends.

I also finished soldering the strip lighting and began installing it on the case.

The pieces fit snugly on the frame and I might have to shave the side panel down a little bit.

Here’s the view of the case with only the strip lighting up the case and side panel.

And here’s the CCR tubes that will be in the case. Apparently I’m a sucker for lighting too.

Checklist until completion:

Finish Cable Sleaving: 80% Complete
    Touch-up paint on PSU (got a couple of scratches while sleeving).
    Assembly and Test

So close, I can almost see the light at the end of this mod.
    Mods:
    Battle Dragon Bag Case - In Progress
    http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5127

Cygnar Stormstrider - On hold
    http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4956

Update #28: Assembling Pictures!!!
    I’m still working on the sleaving, redoing some of the sleaving and a little soldering. But it was driving me crazy. So I started assembling the various parts of the case.

Here’s the GPU (Radeon 6950/70) with the water block. Just a quick note, the water block was provided by the kind folks over at DeviceUnkown.com.

Just a quick shot of the second hard drive mounted on the back side of GPU. The primary hard dirve is the slick little OCZ SSD drive will be mounted on the back side of the motherboard because it’ll be visible.

After a little modding of the mounting brackets, I was able to install the CPU water block.

And I’ve installed the windows in the in the respective panels.

Checklist until completion:

Finish Cable Sleaving: 80% Complete
    Assembly and Test
    Install updates and games

Another update later tonight with sleaving pictures. And even later, I’ll post the finished sexy shots and some of the action shots of the case while I’m at PAX.
    Mods:

Update #29:

Note all of these pictures happened sometime between Thursday 6pm (8/30) and Friday 6am (8/31)

Time was running short before PAX and the mountain of cabling and sleaving seemed daunting. So I did what any modder would do, I worked non-stop to get it done. Here’s a quick picture of some of my sleaving work:

Eventually I completed all of the required sleaving. So I began the next task of assembling all of the parts. One of the tricks behind working in such cramped space is figuring out the ordering of assembly. You can’t just assemble the parts in any order because one part’s placement will block access to the other parts. Here’s one of the steps of assembly, the motherboard and primary SSD:

This picture jumps a few steps forward. I’ve already half assembled the side panels, connected the hard drives, attached the pre-assembled GPU & secondary HDD, and wired the switches to the motherboard.

While the computer is 75% assembled, I prepare the Mayhem’s Tharsis Red:

Except… something’s wrong… but no matter, I tested the loop again before it hit me… is my red pink?!?!?

I checked the other three containers of Tharsis Red and sure enough, I was accidentally shipped a bottle of Gemini Pink labeled as Tharsis Red. Here’s the difference between the two. Apparently being awake for 25 hours doesn’t help your ability to differentiate between pink and red.

So I drained the loop and filled it with the appropriate colored coolant… and it’s almost ready! I’ll I have to do is power it on and update the OS and games!!!

Did it power on? Did I make it to PAX? Did I win the casemod contest? Did I embarrass the whole casemodding community in my panel at PAX?

I’ll let you all know with my next update. And no cheating by looking at my facebook entries.
    Mods:

I can't see your pictures
    I'm using Chrome on Vista (groan). Where are they hosted?

Just thought they might be blocked by Adblock Plus

Edit: Whitelisting Modders Inc did nothing. I think I need to whitelist your image host.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information