Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's share how we came up with our ideas for the contest!

Let's share how we came up with our ideas for the contest!

Here is how I had my ideas, hope my english is good enough.

Generally I have my best ideas when I'm not thinking to it, that is the case of my project #2 "Stealth", instead to the first one I had to think gradually to it, till it has become like it is in the end.

Project #1:

When I discovered this contest I have to admit that I have never seen the Tt keyboard and mouse, so watching it in the Tt website and reading their features, the first thing that came in my mind was to do something to use the built-in backlight of the Challenger keyboard and the Element mouse.
    All stared figuring out what to cut into the mouse shell, at the beginning I wanted to cut a dragon shape but that looked too much complex to me, so I tried to find some easier to do, I don't remember exactly how the idea to cut a lightning shape came to my mind but I decided that this was easy enough to be made.
    The other question was if leave the plastic black or to paint it, then I thought to the adhesive carbon fiber film, and searching for that I found the red one I chose.
    I thought to make The cut in the plastic with a similar Dremel tool and to fill it with a clear bicomponent resin to allow to the light pass, then apply the carbon fiber adhesive and give a glossy finish with a clear spray paint.

Project #2:

In the days after I showed my first project, I started thinking what to do for a second project that wasn't just painting or cutting.
    One day, watching a tv show about cars, the reviewed car was a Lamborghini Aventador, when they showed the engine cover I had the inspiration, then after searching some images, I made the 3D model of the keyboard cover, and added the fins on the mouse to match the cover style.
    To build the cover the idea is to use a wood structure in the back border and at the sides, which will be linked to the keyboard with a hinge for furniture doors which have a spring in it, so that the cover can stay open at 90 degrees, the fins will be made with plexiglass and then screwed to the wood structure, after with some putty will cover the screws and fill the space between the wood and the plexyglass then sand it, and paint matte black.

Some days after the ending of the submissions I had the idea to make the cover open automatically with a microcontroller and a servo used in rc plane models, but I'm not sure if this is strong enough to open the cover and if there is space inside the keyboard to put the mechanism.

To make the 3D models I have used "Blender", modeling the mouse has taken some time because has a lot curve lines, the keyboard has been easier to do, then with "Gimp" I made the textures (carbon fiber, lightning shape, Tt logo).
    The render are made with "Yafaray", every 1920x1080 image has taken about 2 hours to be completed on an intel i7 2600.

@monkeyfun: I live in Trasacco a small town in Abruzzo.

Let's share how we came up with our ideas for the contest!

To make the 3D models I have used "Blender", modeling the mouse has taken some time because has a lot curve lines, the keyboard has been easier to do, then with "Gimp" I made the textures (carbon fiber, lightning shape, Tt logo).
    The render are made with "Yafaray", every 1920x1080 image has taken about 2 hours to be completed on an intel i7 2600.

@monkeyfun: I live in Trasacco a small town in Abruzzo.
    Thank you for your insight! I'm downloading Blender right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information