Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Optimus Prime (KBMouse mod) [DNF]

Banned

Optimus Prime (KBMouse mod) [DNF]

Time for yet another little update. I've finally had the chance to "dig into" the discs that I had cut from the much larger acrylic disc. Here are a few pictures to show what i did, but first, the explanation. I first took the discs, and matched them into pairs. Next, I took each pair, and one set at a time, applied Testor's model cement to them, following the instructions (but forgot to not use as much as I ended up using, lol). After I had done those two steps, I set the glued disc pairs roughly in en even square, and set a roll of masking tape on top, distributing space evenly, and then stacked a few full spindles of CD's and DVD's on top, to add weight while they dried. After that I'm just showing a pick of the plugs stacked, and then the fourth pic is after I'd drilled, filed and sanded 5mm diameter holes into two of them. The other two will remain solid, as there is nothing that needs to protrude through them.

Next up, we have the USB ports, that will be used in the exhaust pipes. What I did here was to remove the boots from them, along with the .5mm thick sheath (which caused the thickness overall to be 5mm diameter); removed the pin block from the ends; applied .25mm thick heatshrink (which gave me a 4mm diameter thickness, and also allows for the shielding to remain intact, protecting the wires from potential interference), and it just-so-happened that the heatshrink I had on hand was this color of blue, lol; next I drilled out the holes, in the black end-plugs, taking them from 3mm diameter to 4.5mm diameter, per necessity to accommodate the passage of the wires; finally, I fed the wires through the elbows, and through end-plugs (of which will allow me to swivel the exhausts from one side, to straight upward).

Btw, for anyone interested in using a rotary tool to cut the type of plastic that is used in the molding around the USB ports, such as these, it is one of the messiest experiences EVER, lol. This stuff becomes a powder, no joke! You have been warned.

Anyway, while it may not seem like a significant update at first, those who've worked in this type of scenario, or with these materials, know that it's a much bigger step than it appears to be, lol. Thanks for watching folks, and if my Photobucket has issues again, I apologize. I can't yet afford to pay for a premium account quite yet. Thanks for your support!

Btw, for anyone interested in using a rotary tool to cut the type of plastic that is used in the molding around the USB ports, such as these, it is one of the messiest experiences EVER, lol. This stuff becomes a powder, no joke! You have been warned.
    I found that too, but then I turned it up to a much higher RPM, and the moulding melted, solidified and could be picked off

Banned

Here's a fairly (what may seem as) minor update, but still a decent step, considering what I've had to do here. It's an important step, regardless. Anyway, to start off, I decided it was time to tackle the exhaust pipe pieces themselves, the outer tube pieces. So first up, there are a couple of pics of them, after having been cut, filed and sanded. Next are the discs (for the USB port ends), after having been glued (I used super glue this time, it worked MUCH better than the model cement), filed, and sanded to fit. They're a tad loose, but that's actually a good thing, as I need room for the glue to be able to move around and not smudge out all over the place, lol. In the image, they are just setting there, in the tube openings, and NOT glued in. The reason for this is that they are not finished. I have yet to cut, file and sand the holes in them, so as to allow the USB ports to actually protrude through them, allowing access to the USB device(s) to be plugged into them.

Following that is a pic of the second bent pipe, the one I had to use Gorilla Glue on as a filler. Because it had bent at a longer length than the other tube did, I had to cut it down and sand out the opening on the plate part, so as to allow the tube to slide in some, and after that I Super Glued it. After the glue had finally cured 100%, I was able to un-clamp it and then apply more Super Glue to the other side, creating a more stable and solid bond. I'm showing a pic of the first application, but not the other, as it seems too small an issue to add another image. Rest assured, it has worked very well so far. I need to sand/grind down the part of the tube (the part shown here in the picture) before I can go any further, however.

After that, I attacked the 2 USB dongle ports, so as to fit into the tube ends of which they belong.

The final pic is of the Autobots logo, on the mouse's palm rest area. Whilst not perfect, this took FOREVER to cut out as well as it is, and I personally think it turned out pretty darned spiffy, lol. To accomplish this, I used my PC to print the image into a square just under 1"x1", and then cut it out, fed it through my mini Xyron sticker maker (the one designed for 1" wide stickers), affixed it to the Frog Tape, and then proceeded to cut it out gradually with my Exacto knife. That part alone took me over an hour and a half to accomplish, as my hand kept cramping, and I needed to ensure that the paper and tape wouldn't keep tearing. To do that, I had to do repeated cuts with the blade. Frog Tape is very strong stuff, so it takes a good 2 to 4 cuts to go through the paper and the tape 100%. After I finished with the logo, I put a plastic baggie over it and taped it off with standard masking tape.

Stay tuned for more, as this week I'm pushing to get even more accomplished. This weekend is a bit of a blur, and thus I didn't have any time or energy to devote to the mod. This upcoming week, however, not including Tuesday, should prove to be much, MUCH more productive. I'm going to Walmart on Monday, to get some chemical gloves and some Superclean, for a task that should easily help me gain back a good 1 to 2 days' worth of work. I'll make special note as to how well it works. I did do extensive research on the subject, however, and even tried Goo Gone, but to no avail. From all I've seen, however, on forum after forum after forum, as well as video after video, Superclean seems to be THE stuff to use for this task. Until then, however, stay tuned and happy modding!

Awesome work, this week will be tough for me too.

Banned

Thanks for the compliment, it's much appreciated. Tonight should prove to be productive for me, hopefully anyway XD

You either need to start putting some of your stuff onto a new Photobucket account, or work something out there. lol.

With that said. it looks pretty great. Next time you have to do a complex and weird masking job, especially one that's that small, you can try frisket film. It's a a heck of a lot easier to cut with your hobby knife and it seals well but removes very easily.

Looks good so far, what I could see of it at least.

Banned

I just checked and all of my pics are still visible as of yet. Any posts that don't have pics never did. As to the frisket film, I have some in storage, but have no clue where it is, plus I'm using Frog Tape so as to prevent any bleeding. Frisket tends to have as much chance for bleeding as regular masking tape, but Frog Tape gets perfect results every time It was actually the paper that I printed on that gave me the hassle to be honest, lol. I was using a brand new, unused blade too, so Idk what the problem was. It's ok though, we learn from experience, right? lol

It's ok though, we learn from experience, right? lol
    Of course. That's my motto!

I'm seeing lots of bandwidth exceeded things on my end. Maybe yours are still loaded into your computer's cache. I'm seeing almost none of them now. Including your avatar.

Banned

Ah, ok, I guess it will slowly dwindle away. Stupid Photobucket. being unemployed, I simply can't afford $25 for a year of unlimited, I just don't have the cash. It will reset on the 19th though. I'll see if I can find a fix in the mean time. Until then, I may have to use my other Photobucket account for further updates, and then switch it back after the 19th, lol. Where there's a will, there's a way!

i like how it looks, waiting when it ready

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information