Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Render3

Render3

I did clamp it to a piece of wood :P Using my new ratchet clamps, which are very useful and awesome (I'm going to do unnecessary amounts of clamping now)

Render3

I've mostly finished the shaping of the graphics card cover. There are a few odd lumps that need to be heatgunned and flattened, and a crack which'll need to be filled or hidden somehow, but that's it.

The Akasa 48mm fan is mounted with my new M3 Allen head bolts

And the graphics card is mounted with some temporary nuts made from the standoffs holding an orange part of the heatsink onto the graphics card.

This is the top

Everything somehow fits

A closeup of one of the screws and a reminder that I need to clean the back of the graphics card

And here's the crack. It was caused by me being too impatient and putting too much pressure on it as I bent it.

All in all, so far the acrylic's been pretty nice to work with. It's only pear-shaped when I've been doing something wrong

Render3

I did clamp it to a piece of wood :P Using my new ratchet clamps, which are very useful and awesome (I'm going to do unnecessary amounts of clamping now)
    So you clamped it, and it broke anyway. That is the tough nature of acrylic. And going too fast never works either. That is a medium that is best in a "learn by doing" mode. You'll never be able to know what it's like working with the stuff, until you work with the stuff.

Keep up the good work!

Render3

I made another design that I may or may not prefer, and I want to see what other people think of it. The renders are quite dark because I made the background black to see how it looked.

The windows are just placeholders
    Which shape do you prefer - the original or the new one?

Render3

No responses, so I'm going to assume the new one because I prefer it :P
    This version of the graphics card cover is finished, but it'll need to be remade because of the two cracks. I'll remake it with 3mm acrylic instead of 2mm, and in 2 parts for ease of assembly.

Anyway, this is the current version.

I got the fan cable sleeved, even though I'll use a different fan with the blades pointing outwards in the proper version

Oh, and there's a temporary Akasa sticker on the fan

Render3

No responses, so I'm going to assume the new one because I prefer it :P
    It's ultimately your mod, you have to be happy with it first and foremost.

I liked Render 3 the best too, but I guess it's now R3.5. Still kinda cool. Like you said, it's hard to tell, the renders are kinda dark. I'm sure it will turn out fine. You're doing very well on it already.

Render3

Done a bit of redesigning, because I didn't like the windows.
    I'll let the pics speak for themselves though

Render3

Looks pretty good!

This is a great place to pack a fan filter.

Render3

I'm liking where this is heading.....

Render3

@dmcgrath Perfect! I just need to get a filter first :P But that'll stop the dust getting back into the heatsink (I had to clean the dust of several years off it when I got it)

@BOBDBONE Thanks I'm just hoping it'll look as good in real life as it does in Sketchup.

I'm thinking of hiding the front panel but USB ports could be annoying/difficult to find if it's hidden. Maybe a door, or some little arrows to mark where they are. Whatever I do, the power switch I'm thinking of using (if it works) will be pretty ugly, so that'll be facing downwards.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information