Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Render3

Render3

You can hide USB ports all you want. It's your mod, you'll know where they are.

Render3

@dmcgrath fumbling for USB ports isn't fun though. I already have enough trouble plugging things in - "Is it that way round? Nope, it's that way round. Actually it was that way round"

Render3

Did some work on R3 in lunchtime at school (It meant that I didn't have time for lunch though ). I have the mobo tray and two legs cut out and filed and sanded down, but tomorrow I need to drill all the holes. I've marked out one for the 4-pin, one for the 24-pin, one for the SATA cables, and a big one for anything I've forgotten.

Everything marked out:

Filing down

Nice edges

That's all for today but I should have another small update tomorrow. If I finish the holes I'll still have to wait till Monday to use the strip heater.

Render3

A single-pic update today, but it says everything I've done.

Holes.

Render3

@dmcgrath fumbling for USB ports isn't fun though. I already have enough trouble plugging things in - "Is it that way round? Nope, it's that way round. Actually it was that way round"
    Hahaha, yes, I can empathize.

Render3

What could this be?

The leggy things aren't bent properly so I need a heatgun and a flat surface, but I'm glad the acrylic didn't explode. I did apparently get a crack while cutting one of the holes, but it's not massive and can be fixed with copious amounts of araldite.

Render3

I've fixed the crack by drilling at the end so it doesn't spread further, and aralditing in a piece that had chipped off. I still need to sand it down, but at least now it should be structurally sound.
    That was pretty much all the work I did on Render3 until today. Today I drilled 4 holes in the PSU to fix it onto the case, and made sure everything fitted.

I only have photos of the fitting
    I fitted the shell of the PSU first (this could be tricky to mount when the acrylic is painted)

Then I removed it, attached the rest of the PSU, and put it back on

Then I attached the mobo (with bolts, not standoffs) and plugged in the ATX 24pin and 4pin

I'll do another update either when my standoffs arrive or when I've done some modding of the PSU.

Render3

The standoffs have arrived, so it's... standy offy time?
    Just a load of pics to show off my 52mm achromatic macro lens filter :P
    I'll get to work this weekend, I promise

Feet.

I had to use my "new old" flash at least once The shutter speed is "deliberately" too fast for the flash.

Render3

I started off the sleeving today with the first 8 cables - the 4-pin and the optional 4-pin of the 24-pin.
    Sleeving takes up a bit too much space on the table when you're about to have tea . I had to make sure that I didn't start shrinking the heatshrink by putting it too close to the soldering iron :S

3 sizes of heatshrink - 2 just for little anchor bits. I love my macro adapter - can't wait to use it at f/1.8 when I get my 50mm lens

My first 4 attempts: Not too shabby but could be improved, obviously.

I have the whole week to get the sleeving finished (and revise for mocks) so it should be done by Christmas It's surprisingly time-consuming though - as they say, "Time flies when you're sleeving cables." Everyone knows "sleeving cables" is a synonym of "having fun" - Ok I'm rambling on for a bit too long here. Maybe I should go to bed.

Render3

SLEEVING FINISHED!! Mostly... I couldn't do the molex ones because I haven't worked out how long the wires need to be yet.

My photos are pretty crappy today - I couldn't be bothered to get my tripod so I just raised the ISO (which still wasn't enough) so my photos are slightly blurred and very grainy.

Another cable I need to sleeve:

Didn't particularly want to chop the PSU, so the sleeving all ends outside it and will be covered up with a piece of acrylic.

I'll find something else to do (hopefully not more sleeving) tomorrow

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information