Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Render3

Render3

Hi again! I'm back at it!

I got a little more work done today on R3. I'm probably going to need to get this finished and sell it so I can buy a 550D to start videography. That means I need to make it to a really high standard.

What I did yesterday was make the front right hand panel, and today I made the back right hand panel. Here they are on the "spine":

The sides are a little longer than they were on the original design, but that's just how it's changed. Next step is the right hand panel, and then the left hand side (Once I buy more acrylic, that is).

Then this afternoon I cut and filed the hole for the front panel that I made ages ago, and fitted the panel

The case is currently held together mostly with masking tape because my bag of M3 nuts has disappeared! I'm borrowing some from my friend tomorrow until the ones I bought from eBay arrive. Unfortunately it's the exam week from hell next week, so I won't be doing a lot in between my 7 exams

Render3

My metal for R3 arrived today, so I had some work to do. I ordered 2 500x250mm pieces of 1mm mild steel, but for some reason I was sent 330x670mm pieces. I'm definitely not complaining. I got started with marking out.

It was pretty obvious I wouldn't be able to cut this with tin snips, so I readied my Dremel. My cheap cutting disks disintegrated on sight of the steel.

So I switched to the last of my big cutting disks which had come with the Dremel

It took a lot longer than I was expecting, but it did definitely cut through the metal, and as my technique improved it got faster.

Eventually I'd worn down the cutting disk to what I would call "too small to use" so I gave up. I'll have some money in paypal soon so I'll be able to buy more.

Anyway, I've finally reached a point at which I can actually progress with the build once I've got the disks, and in this burst of activity there's a lot for me to do. I've noticed there are long periods in which I don't do anything because of a small problem. I find working with metal a lot easier than acrylic, so hopefully this should mean there are longer periods between my periods or inactivity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information