Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Render3

Render3

Very cool idea Fred, this is like a naked GT10. I like it!

Render3

A GT10?, Sh4rkbyt3? (can't find any other GT10 - an image search is just inundated with those.

Anyway, I finally have a pic of my high-tech tools

And all the heatshrink I have left after today (I didn't spend the whole of today doing this - I had the delight of going Christmas shopping)

A kind of "before and after" shot - 4-pin is before, and 24 pin is after

And some BIG heatshrink I put on the 24 pin to keep it tidy:

That's all for today. I'm probably going to use my remaining A3 sheet of 3mm acrylic to (re)make the graphics card cover and to make the HDD holder.

Render3

Nice design Fred, Congratulations!

Render3

Thanks, Renovatio!

Render3

I've redone the structurey part of the graphics card cover, this time in 2 parts (which isn't a lot easier tbh) and with 6 M3 bolts holding them together. I also have another fan because the old one was the wrong way round.

Firstly, I got the awesome Dremel 300 for Christmas:

And I just HAD to use my reverse mount macro adapter thingyfier with it

Cutting acrylic makes fluffy thread stuff - like candyfloss, but probably better for you

Half the cover cut out, and half ready for cutting

Holes drilled

Both cut out and a sneak peek at the front plate

Hole for the fan cut out

Aaaaand the (half) finished product

I need to sand away a little bit of the inside - I bent the acrylic a little tighter than I expected and the card doesn't fit in yet! Then more sanding and painting.

Render3

Another update when I should be revising? Tut tut tut.

I got the 7300GS mounted on the bottom half of the acrylic shell

I had to use a cutting disk to cut away some acrylic to do that

Eventually I managed to get the card into the shell, with the original black ring on the outside

And now some random shots:

The ridiculously shallow depth of field is because I was using my 50mm f/1.8 on a reverse mount macro adapter. One of my photos has turned itself round for some reason, even though I turned it round

Render3

Resleeved *again.* My friend found a tutorial for heatshrink-less sleeving with paracord, so I decided to use it, and it looks far better than my terrible heatshrinky sleeving
    I haven't done much else to R3 except put the PSU and HDD inside a temporary computer with a Phenom II X2 BE, Palit 4870, 2GB RAM and an 80GB HDD. This Xigmatek cooler is pretty awesome, always keeping the CPU at under 40°C, even in stress tests. The Palit cooling is pretty good too, keeping my GPU under 50 with Furmark running.

The temporary system (called Bob)

Bob's case only has 1 80mm outlet fan and no inlets (OOOOLDDD case) so I need to chop some 120mm holes at the bottom, because it's getting a bit toasty inside

Render3

Not really worthy of an update, but I sleeved this for a friend:

There'd be a 24-pin extension to go with it, but the company sent me a PSU cable instead

Render3

It's been a long time, but I'm back to working on R3. Over the winter it was too cold in my garage to do much work.

Anyway, I've finally kicked myself into gear again after modding a friend's headphones so I should have updates every weekend (feel free to poke me if I don't). This is just a small update though, because I'm feeling lazy and unmotivated at the moment.

This is what I've done since the last update

The front panel of the case, with 2 USB ports, power switch and HDD and power LEDs (3mm red ones salvaged from a CD player)

Both LEDs are soldered to a little piece of stripboard so I can attach cables (sleeved, of course) later.

The USB ports are embedded in a massive splodge of hot glue, which I've made some progress towards the sanding down of. I'll cover it in body filler and make it smooth before painting.

In that hole in the front plate goes a little piece of acrylic.

And behind that goes this

Replacing my hand will be a few pieces of acrylic to hold the switch in place.

That's all for now, unless I remember something else I've done.

Render3

I've got my fan controller for R3 working, but at some point later I might buy an ATTiny as an Arduino is a bit excessive for controlling 1 fan. The controller is a shield at the moment but I haven't cut off the excess so I can always add another fan to it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information