Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooler Master Cosmos II - Mod

Cooler Master Cosmos II - Mod

Okay, getting back on track, here's my next installment of pics and tricks.

The picture below illustrates my intentions pretty well. I want to have light coming in, from the interior of the case, shining right into a place where the whole fiber optic cable is secured. From there the cables will be split apart and routed to their specific locations. All of this cable will be hidden within the door. There will be no wires or lights actually in the doors, so they will still be easily removable.

Each wing section, as I mentioned earlier is going to step outward from the bottom wing section to the top. Under each “shelf” is going to be a series of tiny lights, using the fiber optic cables, to create a very subtle but dramatic effect. Especially, I assume, in lower light environments.

A little close up, the aluminum is going to be either tooled with "rivets" in it or I'll find some way to do it with little silver dots of glue or something.

A few more ideas flowed out regarding the overall design of the case. I may do even more drawings, it can’t hurt to get as much out as possible. I am really liking the wing design on the bottom drawing, it’s much more sleek and stylish. The other ones I’ve illustrated previously seemed too angular. I am still going more for a bird style in the case. I know the drawings look a bit more like the newer Cylon from Battlestar Galactica (which would’ve also been kinda neat to make), but that won’t be my intent.

I think a bit more like this face. hopefully it will all translate into formed metal.

Looking at a few more in process pics, while I wait for the aluminum sheet and fiber optic cables to arrive. I glued a bit of styrofoam on. It's pretty solid stuff and should make a great backing for the aluminum.

And then I get in there and get messy, and scratchy, man that stuff is pretty coarse when removed from the blocks and it piles up like unmelting snow.

I might put the control panel back in here somewhere. It seems a likely place, but I'm not worried about it's placement...yet.

Thanks for looking!

oh cool another peace of art coming out here

Well the aluminum has arrived and I have gotten to work!

I've gotten a kind of neat looking plan that involves making smaller square(ish) sections with rivets around each border.

I shaped the beak area a bit more. It looked very weird being so broad. So it will taper quite a bit more.
    I also drew lines where I think the wings will start off the front as well.

Then while waiting for the fiber optic cable to arrive. I decided to get working on the aluminum squares.
    I cut about 200 of them. I may need as many as 500, but I'm starting with less and working my way towards that.
    It's very time consuming work.

I created a modified metal punch by rounding the tip to prevent it from cutting through the material, and pounded a bunch of dents around the edges.

I didn't really like just doing that, I ended up taking a small pastry roller, really just a wooden rod, and I flattened out the dents again.
    - It looks really great in person. -
    The dents represent rivets, without having the actual rivets. And they stay easier to work with in the long run, as I can layer them over one another with very little effort.

This is a few of them, just laid flat for a quick picture, to view the overall effect.
    I also had to file and sand the edges a bit to dull them for handling.

Then my good old trusty MS Optical v1.0 mouse decided to die on me. I think it's just dirt, but I swapped in a temp anyway (one that's really worse but works more consistently). I took it apart for the USB cable, so I could have a tool to hook up a single LED and start testing because the fiber optic cable arrived.

I just used the 5v lead in the USB to pug directly to a LED and light it up. Then I hooked it to the end of the fiber optic cable to play around. I really don't think it's going to be enough light using the micro strands that I purchased. They are .5 mm in width. And despite my best efforts it's just not enough light.

Thankfully, the company I bought them from also provided me with a sample pack of other width strands. They had a 2mm strand that is a lot harder to work with but ultimately should provide exactly the type of illumination effect I'm going for.

Below is the LED, it's very effective, but a tad on the bright side. And the worst part of it to me is that I'd have to wire up the doors. Something I didn't want to do. I wanted to light it without having to use power going to the doors.

Now this looks a bit better. I used a pretty short piece of the 2mm to show the lighting effect, that's why you can see it above. But I think 10 or so of these lights on every wing shelf will look pretty dramatic without overpowering it. Which is also what the LEDs would end up doing, I think.

Thanks for looking!

I've gotten the fantastic human named Paul from to donate my much needed 2mm strand of fiber optics.
    It's going to work out wonderfully for the project and I thank him immensely for his participation.
    The store has pretty much what you need in the way of fiber optics (of course), and even things I had never seen before, like side firing fiber optic strands.
    A great idea for a computer mod using that material has GOT to be in someone's near future, so I recommend you click the above link and go check that stuff out. There's even an embedded video of it's testing and usage.

Here's what he sent me.

And here is another cheap online purchase I made, I wanted the clustered LED panels from those flashlights and they put out a bunch of light.

I'll probably keep the housings around in case I need them for something, they are all aluminum and I hate to throw stuff away. (I might even use the switches out of the back of them in this very project)

I started making some of the aluminum covering the top piece. Arguably, the easiest part first. It still took several days to complete.

Some of it was pretty tough to clamp during gluing. I do love Gorilla Glue and I will continue to use it. But the "WHITE" version is not as effective, I've found. It works fine for porous materials, but the stuff I'm working with is anything but that.

The white Gorilla Glue has failed on me several times in the process so I've gone back to the brown version, and it's working as intended. It takes longer to set and cure, but it has not failed and forced me to re-glue on anything I've ever used it on.

For the final product, it's turning out pretty nice I think.

I tried just sanding and polishing it, I got it quite shiny and even used some metal polish compound. It looked pretty spectacular. But, then I got fingerprints all over it. It looked terrible and was never able to hold that shine for long, so I rethought my approach and have decided to make it a matte base, I have a little brass wire brush that attaches to my Dremel.

The textured look really grabs light from all kinds of directions and looks a lot better in my opinion, as well as being a much more resilient surface in general.

I got some car body filler and used it to patch the holes on the top of the case where the handles used to come out of.

And on the next installment I'll be building the wings. Maybe out of MORE FOAM (like the foam core poster board, below).

Thanks for looking!

Excellent work!

Next time will be in titanium?

Guggenheim Bilbao.

Oh wow! I must go there. What a beautiful looking city.
    Spain is one of the places I need to travel to.

Working steadily but slowly on the next part.
    I'm trying to make both the left and right sides match with one another and so it feels like it's taking a lot longer than I wanted it to.

I started with the sharper and more angled wing tips, but it didn't seem right to me looking like that.

Here it is with the 5 tiers almost originally as I envisioned. I'm really liking the design by now, thankfully!

Stacking and shaping them to what's appealing to the eye.

It's 5 levels deep, but it's only adding about 1 inch (2.5 cm) width at the top of the case on each side. It will stand out, without being too obtrusive.

This is a decent shot to show the curve around the door. There is a big angle there and just bending it didn't look good. I like the sharper turn.

Here's a great pic to show the sturdiness inside of the door, behind their aluminum panel.
    Routing of the fiber optics will be coming soon!

I've also decided to cover the vents on the sides. Turing them into rear facing ports. It will still be usable but just more along the style of what I'm trying to achieve.

Also getting some of that fan mesh over the ends. I'll probably have to get in there with some black paint so it doesn't stand out so much.

Looking good man! I'm assuming the wings will then be covered with the aluminum sheet?

nice work over here nice work with wood. you got experience in all material

Looking good man! I'm assuming the wings will then be covered with the aluminum sheet?
    Oh yea, aluminum allllllll over. It'll be quite a chore to hand fit all those pieces, but I assume the end result will be fantastic.

nice work over here nice work with wood. you got experience in all material
    Yeah, thanks. Balsa wood is super easy to work with. Extra light too. I'm not trying to add that much weight to the doors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information