Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raptor

Raptor

So, now that the painting and panel work has been going full tilt, time to paint the "dig pit" panel. Before you say it, "yes" it would have been a TON easier to paint and then put the skeleton on. Agreed. As I was rapidly putting the fiberglass on the side panel, I was pushing in the skeleton pieces to try and get some attempts at a naturally embedded skeleton.... embedded in the fiberglass material. Would have encroached on the sides like mud/dirt/stone would have.... and part way into mounting the skeleton it hit me that, "Dood! You still need to paint this panel!!!" and by then, the resin had already cured enough that removal of the skeleton pieces was no longer an option....
    Live and learn....

*SO*... mask this thing up! And right here, I'd like to give a hearty shout out of thanks to my wife for helping me here. Between the two of us, it took about 45 minutes to mask this skeleton off.

Break out the cans and get to painting!

After the paint had cured a bit, but not completely dried, I removed the masking from the skeleton:

I then let the paint set for 2 days, and then mounted the remaining bones of the skeleton:

I then took the case, and mounted all the pieces back up for a test fit:

Nothing broken, everything fits well! Took it apart again and added in the hardware:

And "yes", that is a Velociraptor hard drive going in... and that is no fluke! "Raptor" to the core, baby!

Raptor

Final pics:

Computer delivered, up, running and games installed before her birthday!
    Thanks for reading! Hopefully you enjoyed the journey, and I have provided some measure of education for a future project!

MOD ON!
    -=Tech-Daddy=-

Raptor

Wow Tech this looks awesome I certainly hope they loved it!!! I like the surface texture look as well. awesome work!

Raptor

I absolutely love it. I am looking forward to the day that my daughter asks me for something now. lol.

I had only ever saw the pics on FB for some reason, I kept missing the thread here. This is nice and simple, and beautiful.

Raptor

Great job!!
    That is an unusual color for a dinosaur, looks futuristic not from past. :?

Is this paint effect just visual or it feels like sand when you touch it?

Raptor

Thanks guys!

It has a grit to it, like sand. It's not coarse or pebbly like a thicker fleckstone.

think of it like 220 grit sandpaper, with the grit further apart.

-=TD

Raptor

Wow TD !!

Love the colors. This turned out real nice.

D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information