Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASUS TUF Hummer Case Mod for Computex 2012

ASUS TUF Hummer Case Mod for Computex 2012

That looks smart!! And very Mil Spec!! Will you put some extra thick plexi in there to give it that "uparmored" look?

Brian

P.S. Watching this!!

Being limited on time I need to make sure that there are a few features that stand out and give it charter with have to take a lot of time to make. On top of some of the hummers that I researched has a set of deflector shields to keep flying bullets and other items from destroying the guns, so this seemed like something I had to do.

Some sheet metal cut to sizes and bent here and there will do the trick.

Now on thing you got to remember is that is has to to be able to travel as well. than means it has to fit in a box and can be re-assembled by anyone. I made some tabs on the bottom of the shields that matched up to some slot cut in the plastic case top. The tab/slot would only match up to the correct sides so you can only install in the right place.

Here is a quick look at what it will look like all together.

Looking good bro!

Thanks!

I need to make the missile launcher look good and that means giving it detail so the tubes need to look real yet be light for travel.

I took some PVC pipe and Styrene, glued them together, glued the Styrene to them

used a step bit and drilled out the plastic sheet to give the barrels a finished look.

Next it was the base for the turret and I used a piece of the left of aluminum to fill a gap on the top of the case which also gave me great support and place to attach the base to.

I added some scrap pieces to it to create the look of hydraulic lines and piping. Once painted and highlighted if will look great.

Now I need to turn my attention to the motherboard. The TUF series of motherboards have a cover over them that direct the air flow to help keep things cool and it makes the MB look cool too.

They sent the board with a new ivory bridge CPU... do you think they would notice if I just kept it and placed the cooler over the empty slot?

I know for sure that I am going to paint the cover the same style as the case, but there needs to be something else to make it pop, so I decided to put in some blue LED's under the cover where the larger heat sinks are. This gave me plenty of room to do it

Well after this it is time to prep and start painting.

Here is everything with the base coat of tan just waiting to get the camo on it.

Out came the airbrush and down went the desert camo paint.

The finished motherboard... they should sell this :-)

Getting down to the wire (pun intended) on this mod. With the case being built to show off the ASUS motherboards neat wiring is what it has to have...

Unlike a real hummer I needed to make sure that the inside was bright to highlight the motherboard area. Off to the local AutoZone and there it was a package of 2 Super Bright LED strips, 12 volts DC I place one strip at the horizontal top edge of the case "door" and one along the left side vertically.

By gosh I think I am done with two days to spare! So I sent off some pictures to ASUS, double boxed it up for shipping to Twain, and was finally able to relax from my two week modding marathon... so I thought.

At the very last moment ASUS wanted the TUF logo on the door 0-0

So I am sitting at work, reading the email with a sinking feeling in my stomach thinking... "OK I wont get home until 7pm, I have to unbox the mod, sand and repaint the door section, make a template for the logo, spray it, clear coat it, rebox it up, and find some way to ship it out the next morning BEFORE I get on a fight to Denver at 9:30 am... 8O

Believe it or not I was able to do all of the above plus being up until 2am trying to find a DHL shipping place that was open before 8am... and that my friends was not easy. There is a DHL shipping facility right at the airport, BUT it did not open until 8:30am. About to say "Fu#$ it" and reschedule my flight I found a place that opened at 7am AND it was right on my way to the airport! After all of this I was able to get it off to ASUS and catch my fight with 40 minutes to spare. Oh the life of a modder

The next images are of the completed case with a different marking on the door and minus the TUF logo and you know why from the story above :wink:

Thanks for looking and the project log went almost as fast as my build time.

Modding, Ain't it Cool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information