Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dritter Wolf : A tribute to the 3rd installment of Wolfenstein

Looked really good at the show - great work man.

So, yeah.... these will be a little out of order since I am still showing everyone how I finished this thing....
    But I have to have the final appearance pics of this computer up. So, the way Dritter Wolf looks *right now* is the following:
    Name:  Wolf_final01.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  Wolf_final02.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  Wolf_final03.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  16.1 KB

Name:  Wolf_final04.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  Wolf_final05.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  15.4 KB

Name:  Wolf_final06.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  Wolf_final07.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  Wolf_final08.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  14.8 KB

Name:  Wolf_final09.jpg
Size:  14.2 KB

Name:  Wolf_final10.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  Wolf_final11.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  Wolf_final12.jpg
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  Wolf_final13.jpg
Views: 103

Name:  Wolf_final14.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  Wolf_final15.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  20.1 KB
    blingGreen, Lupine, BOSS FX-57, DSF... what's coming next? Stick around!
    http://www.tech-daddy.com

So, after I had my grand idea for a "reactor grill", I took a look at the top of the case where the exhaust was, and thought... "a blast vent.... yeah, that's what this thing needs!!!"
    ... famous last words...
    Before I dig into this, I want everyone to know that this one part ate up the majority of my build time and effort, and I will explain where I went wrong so that you may learn and not do the same thing I did!

So, in thinking about a blast vent, initially I was thinking about static, non moving vents, and I went out and bought a floor register:
    Name:  Wolf_build49.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  33.0 KB

but the more I looked at the vent pattern, the more I liked the moving vents on the bottom:
    Name:  Wolf_build50.jpg
Size:  31.2 KB

So I looked at the contraption, found that it had been spot welded in 8 places on the bottom. Inserted my screwdriver between the two pieces and worked them apart! ENded up here:
    Name:  Wolf_build51.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB
    and
    Name:  Wolf_build52.jpg
Size:  37.8 KB

Took the bottom adjustable louver box, and placed it on top of the case. That is a pretty darned good fit!!!!
    Name:  Wolf_build53.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  Wolf_build54.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  Wolf_build55.jpg
Size:  39.9 KB

So I trimmed up the side tabs a bit to make it fit better, and used some short strand fiberglass body filler. Spread that all along the sides to give it a firm attachment to the top. Then I turned it into a Canoli!!!!
    Name:  Wolf_build59.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  Wolf_build60.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  50.2 KB

See??!?! It does.... come on! You know it looks like it... what I was doing here was using spray foam. I used this to fill the sides of the blast vent to give it a more "curved" appearance. Had someone on Facebook tell me (after my initial fiberglass attachment of the two pieces), "You are going to have a square blast vent???" And I had to agree! So I had to fill the sides and build it up to look like it was channeling/vectoring some sort of exhaust, so I wanted to round it toward the vents. This foam (pardon my pun here) filled in quite nicely!

After it cures, it expands and hardens (2nd picture).
    Use a body filer to remove the excess foam and shape it into what you need! *This* was where I made my mistake. If you do this, make sure you pud your fiberglass or body filler onto the foam immediately after shaving it! If you will notice in picture 2, the foam has a nice, solid, hard surface to it. Think of that non porous skin as the surface of a balloon. When you pull that skin off, the air goes out. Same principle here. Except after I shaved it, I went in and took a shower, went to bed! Came out the next night to put on my fiberglass, and the thing had deflated!!!! %&*_!_*@^%!*@&*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  Wolf_build67.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB

So I had to foam it again, but this time seal it immediately after shaping it! Lesson learned!!!

Name:  Wolf_build78.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  65.2 KB

I then has big, thick, black sheets of styrene that I cut to fit the sides of the foam work. Then I used my heat gun to shape the straight panels of styrene into the curved/foamed base that they were going to be applied over. Then I put JB Weld on the bottoms of the sheets and glued them to the fiberglassed/foamed base. After that cured, I heated the styrene on the panels I had just laid down, in order to fold over the ends like the end of sheet metal. To give it more of a metal effect, I drilled holes and put in pop rivets to make more of an industrial look on the vent... and I ended up here after painting:
    Name:  Wolf_build96.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  Wolf_build97.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  Wolf_build98.jpg
Size:  46.1 KB

Had to keep modding.... and had some exciting updates that were going to be my main exterior pieces...
    More in the next update!!!!

Some great Ideas coming out of this Craig, Well done and dig the imagination as always!,,!, MOD ON ,!,,!

Looks great man! You know I would have never of thought about making blast doors.
    Cut it, Paint it, Mod it. Void Your Warranty #moddersinc @moddersinc
    youtube.com/c/moddersinc1
    twitter.com/moddersinc

Thanks guys!!!
    Working on the overall case build, I have not spoken about my key external eye features on the case. I wanted the case to to not draw away from these 2 items. It took me a while to get them right and the files cleaned up enough for the cutting, and I have 2 very special friends (you know who you are) that helped me meet those goals. DXF/DWG file editing I simply did not have the tools to clean those up. I had all of my raster to vector conversion down... but still needed those files cleaned up. Once those CAD files were ready, it was a matter of finding a vendor that would water jet my small job. Most would not even touch it! Some out right talked me out of doing business with them. In the end, I found 2 very accommodating vendors willing to help me. One was local and the other was in Georgia (Yes, I looked that far!!)!

In the end I kept it local on the very real decision that I could not loose time in shipment. And if something was wrong, I'd need to try and fix it quickly.
    This was just after I picked up the final result of the waterjet work...
    Name:  Wolf_build61.jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

As I get it home, I pull out the 5 beautiful 1/4" thick waterjet cut aluminium pieces:
    Name:  Wolf_build64.jpg
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  Wolf_build65.jpg
Size:  40.1 KB

MMMMmmmmMMMm.... that just looks beautiful!!!

So I mock it up on the side panels.... and the deep black makes the color difference very dramatic!!!
    Name:  Wolf_build68.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  Wolf_build69.jpg
Size:  32.2 KB

Love that look!
    Next, I started polishing the Wolfenstein logo. You can see what I started with... well here is a picture about 50% through the process:
    Name:  Wolf_build71.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  27.6 KB

then about 70%. I put my drill bit locker on the aluminium to show the reflectivity:
    Name:  Wolf_build72.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  61.1 KB

then on to the side of the case: I did not go for perfection, I wanted a little scuffing:
    Name:  Wolf_build89.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  34.7 KB

Yummy!!!!!

Now, the word. I needed to back it, but I did not have time to come up with another cut design and have someone cut it, so I layed the word outline on some clear acrylic I had in the garage, placed a washer next to it, put my pencil in the washer, and use it to create a 1/8" gap between the outline and the pencil.
    Name:  Wolf_build79.jpg
Size:  35.0 KB

After stripping off the protective paper, I sanded the clear acrylic to give it a smokey white appearance. I then clamped the ever luvin crap outta it and started filling each letter with clear resin. After I filled each letter about 1/2 way, I dropped in opaque red resin color, then used a razor to draw out the color through the letters. After that cured, I put another layer of clear resin on top of the color layer to lock it all in place.
    I couldn't take pictures during this process... probably should have had my wife out with me snapping shots... But I think you will see the coloring effect in the letters is very dramatic!
    Name:  Wolf_build80.jpg
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  Wolf_build81.jpg
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  Wolf_final01.jpg

Name:  Wolf_final02.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  32.1 KB

I simply love the way that came out! I learned some neat tidbits about resin casting, and I will be experimenting more with this technique in future builds!
    -=TD

Good job bro

"Moddin' ... Ain't It Cool!"

Blast doors are cool - but the tid bit with the washer and pencil, now there is a trick I need to remember Thanks for that one dude. Awesome seeing how that work of art formed, keep it up. (Y)

Definitely turned out pretty bad ass. Thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information