Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SandStorm II Case Build

Sneak Peek
    What do you think?

GX II 750W PSU By CM for Sponsorship

Hi guys today is the second review of my PSU I got from Cooler Master for their sponsorship. Guess what, itís a famous GX II, one of the most famous gaming power supplies in the market. This is one of the most reliable and cost effective power supplies in the market so far. Yes there are bigger and better power supplies, but for a mid-range budget build this PSU is the perfect solution.

• Itís a single rail 12V non modular PSU. Yes would prefer it to be modular but something to keep in mind is that it is comparatively very cheap.
    • 5 Year Warranty Ė Cooler Master guarantees that their product will be functional for 5 years and itís more than the time that you would use your computer. Unlike other PSUs this one has 5 years of coverage where most of the other PSUs give only 3 years coverage.
    • USB charger Ė this is one of the top features I like in this PSU, this is a socket to connect your front USB panel through to the motherboard, the GX II provides continuous 5V power to the front panel even when the system is not running.

• Support Dual SLI- the GX II 750 W PSU comes with 4x 6+2 pin connectors, meaning that it can power up two high end graphics cards.
    • The new 2nd Generation of GX II have a very silent fan and good cooling for long hours of operations.
    • Built-in protection systems for stable, smooth and dependable supply like, OVP/ UVP/ OPP/ OTP/ SCP/ OCP.

Here are the Specifications of the PSU

The Power Distribution is as follows

The connectors available are,
    1x 20+4Pin Motherboard Connector
    1x 4+4Pin CPU +12V Connector
    4x 6+2 Pin PCI-e Connector
    9x SATA Connector
    3x 4Pin Peripheral Connector
    1x 4Pin Floppy Connector
    1x USB Charger Cable

Though I wonder why they put up a Floppy Connector, itís very good that it has 9 SATA Connectors.

The regulations this PSU comply with are a lot and you can see them on the side of the box of the PSU.

Maintenance and Dependability
    Talking about dependability I have been using GX first series PSU on my old system for a long time now and used the system for long periods of time and had no problem at all with a PSU.
    I have been using the new GX II for about 2 months now with my i7 Haswell overclocked at 4.5Ghz and been using the system for Rendering and Gaming for long hour. Sometime system has been up more than weeks without any problem.

Overall this PSU is a great pick for performance/price and one of the top level PSUís available for midrange systems. This PSU has a very good Warranty coverage and is very dependable for long hours of gaming.
    Test results will follow up soon.

Please visit CoolerMaster for their official specifications and detail list
    A big thank goes to Cooler Master Malaysia for sponsoring my Build
    Thank You Very Much

Cooler Master GX II 750 W Sponsorship PSU Review.

Hi guys today is the second review of my PSU I got from Cooler Master for their sponsorship. Guess what, itís a famous GX II, one of the most famous gaming power supplies in the market. This is one of the most reliable and cost effective power supplies in the market so far. Yes there are bigger and better power supplies, but for a mid-range budget build this PSU is the perfect solution.

• Itís a single rail 12V non modular PSU. Yes would prefer it to be modular but something to keep in mind is that it is comparatively very cheap.
    • 5 Year Warranty Ė Cooler Master guarantees that their product will be functional for 5 years and itís more than the time that you would use your computer. Unlike other PSUs this one has 5 years of coverage where most of the other PSUs give only 3 years coverage.
    • USB charger Ė this is one of the top features I like in this PSU, this is a socket to connect your front USB panel through to the motherboard, the GX II provides continuous 5V power to the front panel even when the system is not running.

• Support Dual SLI- the GX II 750 W PSU comes with 4x 6+2 pin connectors, meaning that it can power up two high end graphics cards.
    • The new 2nd Generation of GX II have a very silent fan and good cooling for long hours of operations.
    • Built-in protection systems for stable, smooth and dependable supply like, OVP/ UVP/ OPP/ OTP/ SCP/ OCP.

Here are the Specifications of the PSU

The Power Distribution is as follows

The connectors available are,
    1x 20+4Pin Motherboard Connector
    1x 4+4Pin CPU +12V Connector
    4x 6+2 Pin PCI-e Connector
    9x SATA Connector
    3x 4Pin Peripheral Connector
    1x 4Pin Floppy Connector
    1x USB Charger Cable

Though I wonder why they put up a Floppy Connector, itís very good that it has 9 SATA Connectors.

The regulations this PSU comply with are a lot and you can see them on the side of the box of the PSU.

Maintenance and Dependability
    Talking about dependability I have been using GX first series PSU on my old system for a long time now and used the system for long periods of time and had no problem at all with a PSU.
    I have been using the new GX II for about 2 months now with my i7 Haswell overclocked at 4.5Ghz and been using the system for Rendering and Gaming for long hour. Sometime system has been up more than weeks without any problem.

Overall this PSU is a great pick for performance/price and one of the top level PSUís available for midrange systems. This PSU has a very good Warranty coverage and is very dependable for long hours of gaming.
    Test results will follow up soon.

Please visit CoolerMaster for their official specifications and detail list
    A big thank goes to Cooler Master Malaysia for sponsoring my Build
    Thank You Very Much

- - - Updated - - -

Making the cement mould and finishing the surface.
    because i used masking tape there was lot of wrinkles. so had to fill it with cement and made it smooth

- - - Updated - - -

Hello guys, so once i finished smoothing out the surface, i started applying few layers of release wax on it to release the fibre.

Here is the black fatty me applying wax sorry m 20 years old, though i look like I am 35

After 3 layers of wax this is the mould ready to make the fiver side panels

I will finish this thread by April 7th, so keep on reading. I will update every day

Sponsored by Cooler Master
    Thanks a lot for your help on finishing my build

oh well. So where we are now?
    ok. after the release wax layers are dried, we put the gel coat first to make it smooth and forms the edges well. We mixed the gel coat with a chemical to make it non-sticky (otherwise the glue likeness of the fibre will be there)

We used black colour with the resin coz it's easier to paint.

And then on top of it( after drying)first we apply black resin then we put the fine fibre clothe
    and apply resin again well

More updates coming soon. I'm flying abroad so might not be able to update the log for few weeks. (my photos are on my desktop) but i will sure reply to you

Sponsored by:

Hi guys. so after i removed from the mould the parts look like this, my fiberglassing wasn't perfect so had to do lot of more shaping up on the parts.

The whitish thing is wax stuck they are easily removable, but there was some edges that was not well filled and due to the change of temperature the shape of the parts were slightly changed. :sigh:

Filled up the parts with car body filler. sanded them for long hours to get a perfect shape. This was another one of the longest process

After working on these fo rlot of hours they look like this

This is the fron top part which i later merged with the top panel.
    most of the work was on the 2 side panels since they were gigantic

This is the front cover that opens up and has the LED fixed up to the middle

Had to make it point a little bit on the middle and had to make it perfectly straight for it to look good

Next Update I will tell you on how i made the internal structure to hold these parts

A Big thanks for CoolerMaster for sponsoring my build

- - - Updated - - -

Sponsored by COOLERMASTER

Hello friends
    Here is how i made the internal structure. for all i used aluminium sheets and L angles and lot of steel screws. I asked a shop to cut the big pieces for me. then i marked other small parts and used a Jigsaw and a jewellery cutter (similar to dremel) to cut them off. it was the jigsaw that did most of the work.

sometimes i feel that the aluminium case looks epic as well without anything.

did you notice the air intake for the PSU? I designed it that way so that all the dust on the floor doesn't get into it. it will get air from the front 2 fans. I designed that plate to be long to put a water res there but sadly water cooling was out of my budget.

I had to use a back panel of an old throw away case i found from junk yard because it has to be precise and had too much of detail to do by hand.

those are the brackets for the top panel.

Testing PSU with screw positions

Since i'm a poor guy with no CNC or other milling tools i had to make the front fan grill by hadn. and it was some painful days of drilling.

My belief is that no matter how less tools you have if you really want to do something you can do it.

so those are the updates fo ryou guys to day. hope you like what i do
    I will complete the log with the next post so please let me know what you think.

Completed

Sponsored by COOLERMASTER

By this time my semester had already started and i missed one week of class. was in a real hurry and was awake till 3+ am to finish up the work.

Gave a little primer paint to the side panels and this is how they look.

I tried to primer the aluminium structure but it was peeling off, but luckily the paint didn't

SO after that i was playing around with it. aaah.... that satisfaction when you see the pc looks the way you wanted it to look when you switch on the lights. was staring at it for hours changing colours

anyway took them apart for finishing and for final paint

Front 2 parts were the last to finish and had a lot of work on them as i mentioned before. so here how they look when fitted

These are mostly the only tools i used. so here is a tribute to them

Soooooooo finally after along waiting got the side and top panels painted and fixed to the case and it looks great My dad helped me a lot all through the build and soo much on paint. he did a really great work on it that matt dot like look is so awesome.

Fixed the brackets for the lower front panel
    then testing with lights again

made the visor looking piece of the front panel and fixing it to the case

This is how it opens. mechanical system is simple but took some time for tune up and perfect position.

SO only thing that is left now is to paint the front panels. aw gawd i have to remove them again. i hate this life lol

this one i was finishing up the installation and wiring of LEDs

so after everything finished this is how a noobs first scratch build looks

( i feel like the transformers 1 image where megatron and optimus staring at eachother when i see this )

Testing out the system with test Hardware.
    MSI Mpower with 4770K
    MSI GTX 760 Hawk
    Cooler Master Slim cooler (Upgraded with sponsored CM Seidon 240M)
    Cooler Master GX lite 650 watt (upgraded with sponsored CM GX II 750W)
    2x WD Blue 1TB
    Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb

Decided to put the fans on front side coz they were too loud inside

SO here are some final pictures

Thank you for reading my build long i will put up some pictures with new PSU and Seidon 240M

Thank you very much Cooler Master Malaysia for the sponsorship and also great hospitality
    CM Malaysia you ROCK !!!!!!

Master of Futility onevoicewild's Avatar
    I see you like to torturing yourself like me, sanding and filing and sanding and sanding. You really built something special. You have a very talented Modding community in Malaysia. Well done!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information