Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE 30th Anniversary Mod Challenge -- Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
    Wow, those rings turned out great. Keep up the great work bud.
    Thanks!

So I told you all that if the thread repair worked, I'd let you know. I'm letting you know it worked! I am actually shocked.

This is what I used. It's about $25-30, which is pricey, but compared to replacing a $60 part, it's not horrible. Plus there's enough for another use too, so call it $15 to fix a set of threads.

First, you cover the threads of your bolt, or in my case, fitting, in a release agent. Then mix up some epoxy and slather it where you want threads again. Screw in the bolt/fitting and in like 5 minutes, screw it back out. You get this.

Let it cure overnight, and sand off the excess...

It's messy, pricey, and I wouldn't trust it to hold water without an o-ring setup, but holy crap it worked. That fitting is finger tight plus a bit with no problems.

And then naturally I after I get that all worked out and fixed, I decided to order another catch can because perfection. I'd like to have one without dings and I feel a little more confident about drilling it, so I'll try again, but it's nice to know I've got one that works.

The next step in all of this is dragging the paint out as long as I can. I've gotten everything ready except for the hood panel and it's wearing me out. Trying to figure out how to keep from messing the hinge up with epoxy, filler and paint has had me pulling my hair out.

So I pulled the hinge.

I really wanted a clean look on the top, but in the end I've decided that bolting the hinge on is going to give me the best outcome.

First though, I drilled the holes out through the mounted hinge. That way I know the panels will line up.

Then I popped the epoxy joint.

And then lots of sanding to get rid of the epoxy and filler. While I was at it I also smoothed out my bend. with a bit of filler.

And then it was time for...

Thanks for following along!

So I did get my blue laid down the other day. Here's a nice shot of the color and effect.

The top panels and the side panel still have some paint work left, but I can start the assembly now. Actually I have to. I need to line the panels up for the flames and that means putting things together. But first, I finally got my drive situation worked out. I went ahead and added another 240GB Vector 180 and picked up a 256GB OCZ RD400 NVME drive, cause, well, I want to play with one.

On to the good stuff...

The motherboard heatsinks look nice...if you've got a black and gold build. So they've got to be....modified.

First they got taken off and disassembled.

Then a nice soothing bath of Sodium Hydroxide, or lye, or in my case, drain cleaner.

Looks relaxing, doesn't it? It's even got bubbles. In playing around with the anodizing, I found out that NaOH is great for removing anodizing. And after the bath.

I'm assuming there's something with the gold anodizing that is a little tougher than the black. Those pieces have an oxidation layer or something. Nothing a scratch pad can't work out though. Then it was time to put them back on the board.

Much better. Now it doesn't clash with my color scheme.

While I was there, I went ahead and mounted the RD400. Yes, the sticker is ugly. Yes, I'm definitely pulling it off and covering it with something that matches the build better.

Then it was time for the board to meet the tray.

Before putting the case together, I went ahead and made some new corner brackets. My first ones were jacked. I'd planned on CNCing them, but it was quicker just to cut them on the bandsaw.

Now I can put some stuff together.

And I had to throw the radiator on to check it out. I shot it with gloss black then Killer Chrome, super fine aluminum particles that come pretty close to chrome.

Not as shiny and polished as chrome, but not bad for a spray can.

Then I threw the MB and tray in.

And then a couple of the gauges. I did a turned pattern on the bracket to match the tray and painted the backsides of the gauges since you can see them. Well, not in this picture, but they aren't hidden away so they needed some thing better than white and tan. I went with Killer Chrome on the gauge itself and black for the mounting nuts.

It's definitely coming along.

How bad were the fumes for the anodizing removal? I've always been scared to try out chemicals since the only workspace I got is outside during the summer and I can't do anything in the winter.

Those M.2 drives definitely could use some heatsinks (looks cooler too). I think Plextor is the only one that comes with a non-sticker cover right out of the box. That RD400 is pretty fast though.

Quote Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
    How bad were the fumes for the anodizing removal? I've always been scared to try out chemicals since the only workspace I got is outside during the summer and I can't do anything in the winter.

Those M.2 drives definitely could use some heatsinks (looks cooler too). I think Plextor is the only one that comes with a non-sticker cover right out of the box. That RD400 is pretty fast though.
    Yeah, I can't wait to get the RD400 up and going to see if I notice the difference on a system drive. I didn't notice the fumes this time, but the last batch that I did I wound up kicking the attic fan on for some air movement. It wasn't that it was horrible, just didn't want it to build up. As a gauge, I'd say you'd need some air movement inside(open window and fan at least) and if you were doing it outside and carrying it back in to the sink, you'd never really notice it.

Hi, just a couple of friendly reminders as the deadline approaches:

1.) All required photos have to be uploaded up at http://event.gigabyte.us/mod2win/login/ as well.
    2.) Modder Profile and worklogs must be completed to be considered for final selection.
    Completing Your Worklog:
    -Post images and a description of your mod progress to the thread you created in the Modders Inc. forum under GIGABYTE 30th Anniversary Mod Challenge.
    -If you are entering with a completed or 'in progress' mod:
    *You must be able to provide a full worklog from start to finish with images and a description.
    *Your mod must not have started earlier than June 1, 2015.
    *Your mod cannot be an entry from a previous GIGABYTE Mod Contest.

Completing your Modder Profile:
    -Requirements for mod submission:
    *The title of your mod entry.
    *A description and concept of your mod entry.
    *At least five pictures of your final mod entry with external and internal aesthetics (preferably high resolution, jpg file format, maximum size 1MB).
    *At least one picture of your final entry with clearly recognizable GIGABYTE components (must be specified).
    *One picture of your final entry with a hand written time-stamp for verification.

-Submitting your completed mod:
    *Press the Complete Profile button under your profile - Complete Profile page.
    *Once you complete your project, this will be considered your final submission and you will not be able to make further changes to your profile page.

Entries that do not satisfy all stated rules on this page will be automatically disqualified.

Cheers! Thank you for your participation and good luck in the competition.

Oh god, so many details to finish up! and only like 2 1/2 weeks left. Better get to it.

First order of business, the new res. I managed to drill and tap it without breaking fingers, drills, or the res itself. Well, I think it's impossible to break the res without running over it with heavy machinery, but I definitely didn't add any dings like last time.

I spaced my holes a little wider this time because the last go round felt like everything would get a little tight.

Makes for a nice comfortable fit now with fittings and a stainless valve.

Next up, it was time for a bit of wiring for the SSDs. I need to have the cables hooked to them to mount them so bring out the soldering iron.

Since my last two builds were unsleeved, I decided my penance would be paracord.

With the cables hooked up, the SSDs went on their backplates and then onto the off side panel.

After spending all that time laying down that beautiful blue, I got a little wishy washy and went and painted it white.

and then yellow...

And then I tried some candy sunset orange for good measure. Wound up with this.

I wish the orange would have shown a bit better, but other than that, I'm stoked about how it turned out. My layout def needs some work. Although I hoped it would turn out good, I really expected to mess it up at least once. In all honesty, my expectations were to not get the fade to look right and wind up having to repaint and go with ghosted silver flames. But pulling off the old school look is just awesome.

Once I calmed back down after not messing the paint up, it was time to take things apart.

The 1070.

The Avexir Raiden. And thank god they came apart, I was dreading having to tape those up.

I also pulled apart the Corsair SF600 and the Alphacool pump/top, but I didn't manage to get pics of them. Then a few coats of black and Killer Chrome.

And then put it all back together.

I'm loving the Killer Chrome and hating it too. The effect depends so much on the angle. The RAM really shows it off. Straight on, it's got a definite silver/metal look, but if you just showed me that back stick of RAM, I'd swear it was chromed.

Looking good so far, really loving the old school flames. Reminds me of the paint job I did on my go-kart body back in my teenage years.

So I was working on Blue Fury making my top exhaust/rad area, and I had the thought it almost looks like it should be on your build not mine. Kinda a hood intake/side exhaust design.

Name:  IMG_1394.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  51.0 KB
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Jemin View Post
    Looking good so far, really loving the old school flames. Reminds me of the paint job I did on my go-kart body back in my teenage years.

So I was working on Blue Fury making my top exhaust/rad area, and I had the thought it almost looks like it should be on your build not mine. Kinda a hood intake/side exhaust design.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'd thought about some intake/exhaust grilling, but in the end I tried to save as much flat space for paint as I could. One or two tiny flame licks would have looked odd. I threw around ideas for a intake scoop, velocity stacks and even louvered vents, but they just didn't work with the space and other ideas I had.

So I've started piecing things together and got the painted RAM, GPU, and pump put in.

Getting everything in place let me get most of my cabling done. Just need some combs which are on the way.

For tubing I decided to go with 1/2" OD stainless steel. This is .035" wall T-304 seamless tubing.

I ordered 8' thinking that would be enough, but I didn't count on fighting my bender so much. 4' later, I've got one bend, but it's a nice one.

I ordered more tube, but now that I've got the bender figured out, the rest should go quick.

While waiting on tubing, fans, and the X-Carve to knock out the start of my front panel, I went ahead and finished up my skins. After the flames came 3 coats of clear, then a sanding to level things out, then 3 more coats of clear and sanding to get it all smooth. Finished of with a good buffing and polishing after hitting it with 1500 and 3000 grit paper and I wound up with this.

It sucks that my camera has a hard time picking up the colors in bright light. But in some of the shots you can pick up the fade from the yellow to the orange.

For the top panel/hood, I ordered another hinge to replace the first one that had been epoxied on and cut it to size. Then with some button head screws and acorn nuts, I put it together. It came out perfect. No screws would have made me happier, but this looks sharp and definitely isn't going anywhere. Plus I didn't have to fight the hinge while painting or polishing.

And a shout out to my sponsor again, MNPCTECH. Bill sponsored the fittings, but I keep finding myself going back and buying feet, LEDs, and now billet cable combs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information