Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte 30th Anniversary Mod Challenge -- ÁPEIRO --

Today I received an RM1000i PSU from Corsair.

One phase of building a new case is the tear-down aspect. It feels so good to disassemble a case by removing the components into their respective pieces. It is amazing to see how far it will go with just a screwdriver and a drill.

After about 30 minutes, most of the exterior and interior pieces of the Corsair 900D have been stripped out.

Completed design of the two side fan grills and the top fan grill.

Side fan grill

Top fan grill

Between work, sickness and personal matters it has been brutal trying to get anything done.

When I was notified that I will be getting one of the Gigabyte build kits, a Mr. Jonathan Lin from Gigabyte stated in his email that he challenged me to remove the PCH heatsink from the VRM heatpipe so as to keep the Gigabyte branding that comes on the PCH heatsink.

Although it sounded challenging, the process was rather easy.

Here is the stock motherboard fresh out of the packaging. You can see the large PCH heatsink in the lower left and the VRM heatsink to the right of the CPU socket.

Only about 5 minutes later you can see that the heatsink pipe has been removed from the PCH with no damage at all.

Here is a closeup of the underside of the PCH heatsink. When flipped over, there is actually another removable fixture that is holding the pipe in place. Simply unscrewing that fixture allows the pipe to be easily removed without damaging it at all.

Here is the bottom of the PCH heatsink fully put back together.

Here is a shot of the heatsink pipe opening in the bottom of the PCH heatsink.

Now a shot showing the PCH back in place on the motherboard. Don't worry, the fingerprints will be removed before placing into the case.

Received the CPU and M.2 memory from Newegg yesterday. Finally able to complete the installation of the motherboard waterblocks and M.2 memory.

I selected the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 memory unit for the speed and capabilities since this will be used as the boot drive.

These compact M.2 units are amazing. So small and yet so powerful!

The unit fits perfectly into the M.2 slot located between PCIE-2 and PCIE-4 slots, and does not interfere with the PCIE-5 slot.

The CPU selected is the Intel i7-5820K processor. This LGA2011v3 unit has a stock speed of 3.3 Ghz with a 15MB cache.

The processor is locked and loaded on the motherboard.

Last up is to apply the EKWB Waterblocks to the VRM modules and CPU. These are truly some beautiful blocks!

The motherboard is now prepped and ready. The CPU and VRM waterblocks are readily identifiable and the PCH area retained the stock Gigabyte branded cover. The only things missing are the memory and video card.

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Spent the day working on the motherboard tray cover.

In order to create a template that would cover the entire motherboard tray, I had to first get rid of an angled piece left over from the hard drive cage mounts.

No problem. A dremel and some time outside got rid of that annoying piece in short order.

The cover is matte black acrylic and covers the entire back area except where the motherboard mounts. The blue painters tape is where the custom reservoir will be cut in. Once more components are mounted, I can figure out the best size for this item.

I keep in forgetting just how BIG the Corsair 900D really is until I see it beside something.

Hi, just a couple of friendly reminders as the deadline approaches:

1.) All required photos have to be uploaded up at http://event.gigabyte.us/mod2win/login/ as well.
    2.) Modder Profile and worklogs must be completed to be considered for final selection.
    Completing Your Worklog:
    -Post images and a description of your mod progress to the thread you created in the Modders Inc. forum under GIGABYTE 30th Anniversary Mod Challenge.
    -If you are entering with a completed or 'in progress' mod:
    *You must be able to provide a full worklog from start to finish with images and a description.
    *Your mod must not have started earlier than June 1, 2015.
    *Your mod cannot be an entry from a previous GIGABYTE Mod Contest.

Completing your Modder Profile:
    -Requirements for mod submission:
    *The title of your mod entry.
    *A description and concept of your mod entry.
    *At least five pictures of your final mod entry with external and internal aesthetics (preferably high resolution, jpg file format, maximum size 1MB).
    *At least one picture of your final entry with clearly recognizable GIGABYTE components (must be specified).
    *One picture of your final entry with a hand written time-stamp for verification.

-Submitting your completed mod:
    *Press the Complete Profile button under your profile - Complete Profile page.
    *Once you complete your project, this will be considered your final submission and you will not be able to make further changes to your profile page.

Entries that do not satisfy all stated rules on this page will be automatically disqualified.

Cheers! Thank you for your participation and good luck in the competition.

Hey Chief,

It's crunch time, I hope things are going well with the build. I look forward to seeing the completed project.
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information