Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte 30th Anniversary Mod Challenge -- ÁPEIRO --

Now I know why I have never attempted a build in the August - October time frame. With the end of our company's fiscal year and the start of a new semester, it has been nearly impossible to get anything accomplished.

Not that I have been sitting back and doing nothing though...

Got the two radiators for this build (EK-CoolStream PE 480 Quad). One will be mounted in the top of the case and the other on the bottom.

Now for some of the acrylic work...

Created a cardboard template for the midplate so that the cutting process would be easier and more accurate.

Since this midplate will be lit from within by RGB lights it will be composed of several layers.

Here is the topmost piece.

Now the clear piece to help diffuse the light more evenly.

Here is the bottom assembly with the RGB lights ready to go.

The clear pieces fits perfectly inside the frame.

Now for the custom reservoir... this is my first attempt at anything of this nature so I hope I got it right.

Here are the top (clear), bottom (white) and side (frosted) pieces.

I found a G1/4" tap on Amazon and it helped to create the inlet and outlet ports.

Time for assembly. The square helped to ensure the corners were even.

Purchased some Weld-On #4 to ensure that this has no leaks and is held firmly.

Found these little clamps at Microcenter and am finding them very handy.

Here is a shot of the bottom and side pieces assembled.

- - - Updated - - -

The motherboard tray has been marked and drilled with pilot holes for where the reservoir will be mounted.

Finally found a use for my Dremel Moto-Saw.

Took about 10 minutes to get the cuts completed.

Since I wanted to retain the original motherboard tray to lend more strength, I had to make a few adjustments for where the reservoir will be placed. A traditional Dremel made quick work of it.

One of the highlights of this build is the front panel infinity mirror. Took a while to plan this out but I think it came out pretty good.

Created a frame (8.5"W x 22.75"L x 5/16"D) for the RGB lights and purchased a mirror acrylic piece for the rear piece.

Here is the frame and mirror piece assembled and ready for the LED strip.

Used a blue LED strip since the theme of this build consists mainly of blue.

The LED strip length was perfect for the frame.

Now for a quick test to ensure everything is working so far.

Ordered a clear acrylic piece from TAP Plastics for the top piece.

My local Home Depot had the mirrored window film.

The whole assembly is completed and ready for mounting on the frame.

After examining the GPU provided by Gigabyte as part of the bonus kit (GTX 960), I found that there are no adequate full-cover water blocks for this card. The one provided in the kit was a generic version that only covered the mid section.

Here is a shot of the EK Thermosphere block. Beautiful block but just too small.

The Gigabyte card has a beautiful fan assembly and I don't want to lose the aesthetics and not have their logo visible. The card also has RGB lights behind both fans and on the top logo.

And the backplate actually looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    After examining the GPU provided by Gigabyte as part of the bonus kit (GTX 960), I found that there are no adequate full-cover water blocks for this card. The one provided in the kit was a generic version that only covered the mid section.

Here is a shot of the EK Thermosphere block. Beautiful block but just too small.

The Gigabyte card has a beautiful fan assembly and I don't want to lose the aesthetics and not have their logo visible. The card also has RGB lights behind both fans and on the top logo.

And the backplate actually looks very nice.

I agree, the card would lose some very good style using the waterblock. To play devils advocate, in a normal ATX setup, the waterblock side of the card wouldn't be really seen. But special builds like yours needs a good solid look. Great work so far..... can you believe we are down to our last week? See you at the end Chief!
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

Took the front panel assembly and sliced it in two. The infinity mirror has been attached and in the process of curing before assembly back onto the case.

The reservoir has been sealed and after some initial water tests there are no leaks.

The case frames have been painted a candy blue color. The rear frame has been placed back onto the case. The front panel is waiting for the infinity mirror assembly.

Above the front set of fans there is a noticeable space where the 5.25" bay assemblies were removed. Decided that would be an ideal location for the SSDs. Fabricated the piece and it is ready for mounting.

I went with a pair of HyperX Savage 480GB SSD units. Newegg had a sale on them and two would fit the case perfectly.

The retail units even included a small metallic screwdriver.

Although they are beautiful units, the red color does not fit in with my blue theme at all.

Created some SSD covers to tie them more in with the theme yet still show their manufacturer's name.

Here are the two units mounted and ready.

Looking good Chief!

Are those SSD covers decals that are slapped on, or something else?
    Modders Unite!
    Main Rig CPU:A10-5800k|Mobo:FM2-A75MA-E35|RAM:ADATA 2GB&PNY 8GB|HDD:Corsair force120|PSU:Corsair TX650W|GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX670|Corsair H60|Case:Thermaltake Shark|Win10
    File Server CPU:Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz|Mobo:Asus M5A88-V EVO|RAM:ADATA 6GB|HDD: WD3200&WD800&Hitachi Desktar160GB|PSU:Raidmax530W|Xigmatek Loki|Case:XCLIOA380BK|Ubuntu
    The Sheild CPU:Athlon II 220 2.8Ghz|Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H|RAM:CORSAIR XMS 2x2GB&SAMSUNG 2x4GB|HDD:WD600|PFSense2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Jemin View Post
    Looking good Chief!

Are those SSD covers decals that are slapped on, or something else?
    Thanks!

I actually found a local shop that was able to laser etch the logos onto the acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    Thanks!

I actually found a local shop that was able to laser etch the logos onto the acrylic.
    That's lucky, I'm stuck painting mine on Speaking of which, I better get back downstairs and get back to work since the wife is out of the house for a few hours
    Modders Unite!

This crunch time is really hitting me hard!

Got more done this afternoon in between some meetings.

The frame is now fully assembled and the hardware is starting to piece slowly back together.

Here is a shot of the side vent covers with the Gigabyte 30th Anniversary logo.

This is the top vent cover with that same logo.

Here is a close-up of that logo.

Got the side 480 radiator and 4 Corsair Magnetic Levitation Blue LED fans mounted in a pull configuration. You can also see the mounted Corsair RM1000i power supply.

The top 480 radiator has 8 Corsair ML Blue LED fans in a push/pull configuration.

There is a custom acrylic piece on the top of the case to prevent the foam vent insulation from getting near the fans.

Finally I was able to install the custom RGB lighted midplate. Fits like a glove and the light output is amazing! Here is a quick test to ensure it lights adequately.

Now with minimal external lights you can see it fully.

Got the reservoir mounted to the motherboard tray this afternoon.

The top frame was also fitted into place and is ready.

Doing some preliminary fitting for mounting the GPU in the vertical position.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information