Since I don't have enough money at the moment to purchase a good bench power supply, I want to 'mod' a PSU. In the first instance not by opening the PSU, but just by making an adapter that also puts a load on it's 5V rail.

But after taking a closer look (with a multimeter) I found an issue that could be a problem. In contrast to bench supplies (from my University) I'm familliar with a PSU is not floating. It's ground outputs are connected directly to ground.

This could be a very big problem if I mistakenly connect the ground hook of a probe to a higher potential point, thus creating a short which probably will evaporate the probe lead. I know myself, this will happen someday.

As for the AC side I think without opening it should look like this:
Name:  Sklpr.png
Views: 214
Size:  14.4 KB

Where the Live, Neutral and Earth wire are labeled, My personal safety simply modeled as a resistor(http://www.kynix.com/Product/83.html), and a failure that should trigger the RCD/Circuit-breaker as a switch.
RLOAD being of course an very basic simplification of the rest of the circuit.

Now for my question: Are there any issues that could occur by making the modification:

• Lifting the Earth from the neutral line @RLOAD
  • Keeping the Earth connected to the metal chassis of the supply.

Name:  XDQEQ.png
Views: 200
Size:  14.3 KB

Are there also concerns with quality/stability. As in +5 or +12V rails being way out of spec when measured?

I've been thinking about this for some hours and I think there wouldn't be any major issues, but since I do not have a background or vast knowledge in power supply design I'd like to hear your take on this.