Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Dallas Stars Foundation

Project : Dallas Stars Foundation

You can always try a propane heater for the garage... (a little late, but w/e)

I thought about a propane heater, but was concerned with the chance of ignition having a flame source within the garage while I was robustly producing explosive vapors... wheee!!

I know my electrical one will throw the breaker when I plug it up and turn it on...

*update time*

Camera is in the garage, I'll have the pics up later, but just to let everyone know, I'm back from St. Louis, and head down into the mod! Weather has not been my ally, and between low temps and high humidity, I Have not been able to do the paint the way I want it done, but I cant keep waiting. So... I'm now starting the assembly of the unit. I put the bottom of the case on today, pop riveted it back in place, finished up my puck feet and screwed them in place, I have mounted (rather stealthily I might add) zip tie anchors in the cross framework so that I can put cable management in place, but not seen from the front(pics of that later too!) I am planning on getting the mother board mounted tonight, getting the power supply mounted too. Get the cable management done properly *while* the top is still off the case, then once I Have everything where I want it, I'll pop the top back on! I think having the top off of the case is going to make the cable mounting exponentially easier.

I've also got LED's that I received just prior to my trip to STL, the I need to wire up and get mounted to light up the Stars logo and also figure out the best way to get the AWESOME Hyperkore player etch lit up! (damn I can't wait to see that in action!). I have signage that I need to get finalized... blah blah blah....

but I'm pushing to get this baby into the home stretch. I cannot wait on weather any longer!!!!

Be on the lookout for a flurry of updates!

Knowing the layout of your computer case is the key to knowing what you can and cannot do. Looking at this case, I am quickly coming to the realization that I *cannot* hide cables the way I used to, so management is going to be key... while exercising every possible option to hide cables behind the drive bays. I am trying out a little bit of a different idea on this case, I went out and bought a 100 count box of zip tie anchors that are the smallest diameter I could locate.

I then started mounting them into the channel in the reinforcement bar that runs across the side of the case. It is a 3 fold sheet of aluminum that has the back side of it (the side facing the motherboard) open to the inside of the case. If I line the inside of this bar with these little zip tie anchors (using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the piece properly).....

...I can then have the bar do something more useful than screw up a pretty view... it can now be used to help direct cables by using zip ties to anchor the cables to the backside of that bar! Of course, the user on the window side will not see any of the zip ties (hopefully) and will appear that the cables are just "trained" to stay there!

Feeling good about my idea, I moved on to re-attaching the base. The bottom of this piece is actually not the best paint job... let me rephrase it, I'm not happy with it. But, with weather being my worst ally as of late (very cold temps and/or high humidity are a byotch) I'm boing on ahead and moving into the "rebuild and map" portion of the mod.

The inside of the base came out ok, it is the very bottom of this case where the feet attach that needs the help... so no lip...ok?

Flip the case over, and I look at the location of the former feet... #6 screws with coarse threads are a perfect match for the screw holes! So, I bump the length of the screw up to a 1.5 inch length, found me a bag of washers that fit #6 screws, measured the OD of the washers (3/8 inch) and bought me a 3/8" spade drill bit. I then used one puck as a sacrificial unit to see how deep I needed to bore the 3/8" hole, then mimicked that depth on the "production" pucks, dropped in a washer, then my screw, and screwed them through the puck. I needed enough clearance to get through the original case foot (which I am re-using to attach the puck to the base), then through the base of the case, and then I'll use nylon lock nuts on the inside of the case to secure the whole assembly to the base. The rubber of the original feet is much softer than the vulcanized rubber of the puck, so it will make for an excellent vibration absorber so that any machine fan/hard drive vibration will not go out via the pucks! Love the way these turned out....

g src="http://www.tech-daddy.com/wlog/dsf/puck_foot7.jpg" alt="" />

Doing some test mounting of the motherboard to see where still I need some cable support holes cut for routing and retrieval. I went through and marked the aluminum with Sharpie marker and will cut these out tomorrow night.

For those of you paying attention to the first pics of me putting the zip tie anchors, you can now see the beginning stages for how I plan on running the PCI-e cables. I've got ideas for the SATA and the 4 pin molex cables, but I'll let those evolve. The location of those PCI-e power cables is not going to move. I plan on zip tying them in place to keep the cables in place. I may craft another bracket of some sort to hold the cables in place further down... to assist in the routing of the PCI-e cables to their eventual home. More on that as it progresses...

(look at that nice reflection in the base! Again, the finish is not where I want it, but me getting time to do more clear coats, and buffing... just is not going to happen. So this is going to have to do it..)

Enjoy! More tomorrow!

Master Modder

WOW, those feet are just AWESOME!! Who ever gets this unit will have a PRIMO machine that can slap shot the best of them. Not to mention the great work that you are doing and the fine pics that you furnish. Thank you and Happy Modding to ya.

Had a magical little delivery today at the house...
    A big time thank you to Turtle Beach!!!! for donating a pair of their awesome surround sound 8 speaker, amplified HPA series headphones!!!!

Oh yeah!

Ok.... I think I have the final signage for this thing...

just wrapped this up tonight. I'm going to see how difficult it is to make this into a side standing "billboard" for all of the sponsors, positioned right next to the computer while it is at auction.
    19inches tall by 13 inches wide....

Also, this Coolermaster case had "countersunk" rivets in the bottom of it in certain places. They were countersunk in order to give clearance to the toothed gear wheels that control the front doors. These gears sit nearly on the surface of the case. So, the bubble of the regular pop rivet would rub. So, using Google, I found out what type of rivets I needed, and I ordered. I should have them here by this next week. I plan on working on on the case windows tomorrow, getting the LED's wired up and getting the windows completed. I need to pop a hole for a 120mm fan out of the acrylic of the Dallas Stars logo window (that's going to be stressful! One shot to get it right!), so when the temps come up a bit tomorrow afternoon, I'll be out in the garage busting through these steps!

With the cable management case cuts made, this should come together nicely! I just really have to pay attention to the "order of assembly" on this thing! Don't wanna rush it together and then realize I have to disassemble to put something in... or else get it together and find something that I "meant" to put in...

Totally unrelated, I get a new car stereo tomorrow!
    Kick ass head unit here...

First time I've ever had a new car stereo.., and this one was an absolute steal in my book! Another Fry's super find... if you will.

So, be looking for more updates tomorrow!

don't know how i didn't see this thread before! i'm probably one of the few hockey fans who is member here. anywho, i'm loving this rig and it's for a good cause. doesn't get much better then that.

plus, i think it may have inspired me to do a colorado avalanche case.

don't know how i didn't see this thread before! i'm probably one of the few hockey fans who is member here. anywho, i'm loving this rig and it's for a good cause. doesn't get much better then that.

plus, i think it may have inspired me to do a colorado avalanche case.
    haha, I thought about an edmonton oilers case (Good ol' north)

I sincerely hope that this mod inspires a slew of sports cases! I'd like to see more hockey fans out there getting cases up, so you guys lead the charge!

Onto the updates from earlier today.

Needed to put a 120mm fan for supplying the 880GTX cards, so... I bit the bullet and went to town on one of the beautiful lased windows from Hyperkore... GOD I hope I dont mess this up...

Just drilled the hole using my adjustable diameter hole cutter. Works stellarly (I don't know if that is a word... but it should be!) on softer materials. Acrylic is the perfect material. Nice and smooth...

Tap the 4 corner holes using a 120mm fan grill as a guide for hole placement:

Then I attached the fan to the MNPCTech blowhole kit generously donated by Bill Owen over at MCPCTech

Backside of the mount:

Closeup of the front side of the mounting:

Staging it in the window just to see how it looks:

I am going to begin working on the LED chains that go around the windows... yay!!! :P

Pretty happy though with how that came out.

More later!

No pics up tonight (I smoked my old as dirt AT power supply that I used for low voltage work) but I'll tell you what I did!

I wired up 3 LED's, one amber, one white and one green, to test out my LED's color representation.

The Amber turned out to be more orange than gold... so those are out for this mod...

So it boils down to the green or the white... so I'm going to use both!
    The white is much stronger than the green, but I plan on projecting the white using 2 white LED's at the top projecting down diagonally, then having 1 or 2 green LED's on the side of the window pointing to the center star.

Preliminary testing showed the desired withe green effect... I think you guys are going to like it!

More later!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information