A computer network is a very important function in our daily lives. If you think about it practically everything you interact with is or at some point was part of a computer network. Computer networks allow us to stay connected to whatever we are doing. You cell phone for example, is part of a computer network. The network signals are carried via wireless to your providers cell towers and through various different equipment eventually connects to the internet. There are many pieces of hardware that make up a network. Routers, switches, and wireless access points are all examples of network hardware. Some are plug and play, while others can or require configuration before it can be used. Switches are the backbone of any computer network.
A switch is essentially a traffic cop for computers that reside in close proximity to each other. Before switches there were hubs. A hub allowed multiple computers to communicate with each other but the major issue with a hub was that every port received the same traffic. In a network where hubs were used, packet collisions can be a real issue as identical data is seen on each port. A switch is slightly different. The switch keeps track of which MAC addresses are connected to each port and forwards traffic, for the most part to the corresponding destination port. There is however a few exceptions. Broadcast traffic will be seen on every port. However, I have not seen a hub in use on a network in years.
The Rosewill RGS-108P Gigabit switch is an unmanaged switch that is capable of Gigabit wire speeds on each port with a bonus. The RGS-108P can also supply Power Over Ethernet or POE to four switch ports. POE is typically seen in the corporate environment, but with the fast pace of technology it is quickly finding a way into our homes. POE can supply power and network connectivity over one cable thus eliminating the need for a separate power adapter for such things as Voice over IP phones, IP cameras, and wireless access points.
Review Sample Provided by: Rosewill
Product Name/Link to Website: RGS-108P POE Gigabit Network Switch
Product was given in exchange for work done to produce this review.
Review Sample Provided by: Rosewill
- Complies with 10BASE-T specifications of the IEEE802.3 standard
- Complies with 100BASE-TX specifications of the IEEE802.3u standard
- Complies with 1000BASE-TX specifications of the IEEE802.3ab standard
- Complies with Flow Control and Back-pressure of the IEEE802.3x standard
- Compliant with IEEE 802.3af/at PoE standard (DTE power via MDI)
- Supports IEEE802.1p Class of Service
- Provides either 4* PoE ports or 2* PoE+ ports with classification identify
- Supports 63W maximum in total for all PoE ports
- Supports over current protection and circuit shorting protection
- 8* RJ-45 ports for 1000/100/10BASE-TX connectivity
- Supports NWay protocol for speed (10/100Mbps) and 1000Mbps duplex mode auto-detection
- Supports MDI/MDI-X auto crossover
- Wire-speed packet filtering and forwarding rate
- Store-and-forward architecture filters fragment & CRC error packets
- Supports loop detection
- Supports 8K MAC entries
- 128KB buffer memory
- Supports extensive LED indicators for network diagnostics
- Internal universal switching power supply
EMC: FCC Class B, CE
|Standards||IEEE802.3/u/ab, IEEE802.3x, IEEE802.3af/at/az, IEEE802.1p|
|Network Management Type||Unmanaged|
|Jumbo Frames||9216 bytes|
|Ports||4 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-MDIX PoE Ports (1~4; Max. 15.4W per PoE port) or 2 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-MDIX PoE+ Ports (1 & 2; Max. 31.5W per PoE+ port) 4 x 10/100/1000Mbps Auto-MDIX Gigabit Ethernet Ports (5~8)|
|MAC Address Table||8K|
|Switching Method||Store and Forward|
|Cabling||10Mbps: Cat 3,4,5 Unshielded Cable 100Mbps: Cat 5, 5E, 6 Unshielded Cable 1000Mbps: Cat 5E, 6, or above Unshielded Cable PoE/PoE+ requires Cat 5 or above Cable|
|LEDs||System: Power Per Port: Link/Activity PoE: PoE Status 1~4 ports, PoE+ Status 1 & 2 ports Loop: Loop Detection Status|
|Power||100~240V, 50/60Hz, 75W Internal Power Adapter; 4.848W(max. with no PoE Device connected); 64.32W (max. with 4 x 15.4 w PoE Device connected)|
|Dimensions||10.32″ x 7.24″ x 1.61″ (262 x 184 x 41 mm)|
|Temperature||0ºC to 40ºC (32ºF to 104ºF)|
|Humidity||10% – 90%, Non-condensing|
|Package Contents||RGS-108P Power Cable Mounting Kit User Manual|
Features and specifications are provided by Rosewill and are subject to change without notice. For more information please visit http://www.rosewill.com/products/2560/ProductDetail_Overview.htm.