Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Brian, it was my usual type of painting, but the girls did an awesome job.

There was a bit of coverage. The one video that Cyberpunk did with Dewayne is all choppy though. I gave one Modders-Inc interview, but for the life of me I can not find the name of the folks that did it. lol I have a few pics of mine from Quakecon.

As for who won, I have no idea yet.

here's a few pics of it at QC 2013 all lit up (thanks to Dewayne and Frank N Stein)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	37974

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 038.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	37975

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 040.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	37976

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 037.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	37977

One of all of them.

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 041.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	37978

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 043.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	37979

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 044.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	37980

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 045.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	37981
    XcaliburFX
    Painted
    Last edited by XcaliburFX; 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM.

"Moddin' ... Ain't It Cool!"

Comment

A couple more from Quakecon 2013

Name:	World-Eater-Skyrim-Case-Mod2.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	37982

Name:	World-Eater-Skyrim-Case-Mod3.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	37983

Comment

Ok, a few final pics to show, some sponsor images as well as, a look inside.

Our Wonderful Sponsors!

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 046.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	38016

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 047.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	38017

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 048.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	38018

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 052.jpg
ID:	38022

Now a few inside / build pics.

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 049.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	38019

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 051.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	38020

Name:	Alduin 2013 - 050.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	38021

Comment

BTW, the HDD cage is also hand painted.

Comment

Turned out super. Great job.
            Don't Tread on Me

Comment

Originally posted by XcaliburFX View Post
              Not a lot of paint applied today, however, I did get started pretty good on the blending in of the Dragon wall. using the tree bark I layered it together and shaped it to fit to the top panel and dragon wall sides. I did throw a tad of primer on 3 pieces just to get a feel for it. Still have quite a bit of bark to lay out before it is finished, but overall I am pleased with the results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306[/ATTACH]

BTW, my vision was to have the dragon wall cut out of stone on a mountain cliff sort of outcropping, hence the feathering down of the rock (bark) layers.

Stay tuned as, it is about to get down to the wire lol
              Just an FYI, the blending of the mountain and dragon wall was done with the combinations of tree bark and acrylic paints.

The tree bark blend in , which turned out great I think, actually took over 8 hours to complete by itself. I literally had a 5 gal bucket full of bark that I went through and trimmed shaved, and even shaped on my belt sander just to get the right 20 some odd pieces to match up. It was truly one of the hardest puzzles I have ever put together. But the end results were well wort it.

Comment

Thanks Dooglo, it was a fun little mod. I am more used to doing slick type paint jobs, so the hand painted thing was a whole new approach for me. However, I liked the textures it brought to the rock of the mountain side a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by XcaliburFX View Post
                  Ok, a few final pics to show, some sponsor images as well as, a look inside.

Our Wonderful Sponsors!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]436[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438[/ATTACH]

Now a few inside / build pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441[/ATTACH]

I really enjoyed doing the Skyrim mod "World Eater". The whole mod took somewhere between 60-80hrs to complete. It was all done at my home, with the exception of the waterjet cutting I had done by Evans & Sons Welding Service, Inc. of Austell, Ga. It did save me some time (and the price was super reasonable), but for my etching to line up perfectly it had to be precise.

Speaking of the etching, the etching was the only mishap of the whole mod. The first etch I did looked perfect until I removed the adhesive sandblast stencil I used. Not only did the stencil have a blue protective layer on the sticky side but, it had a clear layer not really visible to the eye, and after removing the material i found out the hard way about it. lol If I had of known I could have sandblasted through it, but as it was I ended up with partial etching in spots and that simply would not do. So, I did it again, this time making sure I found the clear layer and removing it as well. This time the etching was flawless and the lights running across the panel made the etching really pop inside of the waterjet cut out of the SKYRIM Dragon. I was more than pleased.

As mentioned in a previous post ; The tree bark blend in, which turned out great I think, actually took over 8 hours to complete by itself. I literally had a 5 gal bucket full of bark that I went through and trimmed shaved, and even shaped on my belt sander just to get the right 20 some odd pieces to match up. It was truly one of the hardest puzzles I have ever put together. But the end results were well worth it.

I also took a new approach to painting the case, the interior was sprayed with bright hammered metal copper and then had a couple layers of anodized red sprayed over it to make it pop. However, with all the rain and humidity being near 100% at my home almost the entire month, you can well imagine the semi clear anodizing paint clouded on me. So, I immediately hit it with the heat gun racing to dry the cloudiness out, and it worked out great. the cloudiness came out, but I did not have quite the effect I wanted in the finish, as it made it somewhat darker. However, it still pops in the light and worked out great.

As for the exterior, I strayed from the usual grayish hue of the skies found mostly in game and went with blue skies. I just wanted to add more color and a dramatic effect for those seeing it for the first time, this was my own personal vision of what I wanted to see a bit of in the game. So when you see it you understand the vibrant blue skies, with a dragon in flight on one side and a moon on the other.

I truly enjoyed working with my daughter and her best friend on the hand painted artwork. I must say it was a new experience for me, as normally I would have chosen to go with a super slick finish. However, given the rain and humidity I am glad I did not this time and the artwork turned out fantastic. Not only that, but I introduced modding to young aspiring art students and they enjoyed it. So, who knows, maybe something else hand painted in the future. Still, not ready to turn the dremel and cutting wheel over to them, but we are making headway. I also thank them very much for putting up with my scrutiny, as one minute it looked one way the next another. then it was explained to me that it had to be done in layers, and that I needed to be working on something else and out of their hair. LOL So, it was indeed fun and at times frustrating.

Special thanks to my daughter and her best friend for the artwork, it turned out fantastic young ladies.

I would also like to give another special thanks to our wonderful sponsors for this Staff vs Staff Mod-Off.

BTW, the above artists names, are their pen names.

Comment

Working...
                  X