Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dritter Wolf : A tribute to the 3rd installment of Wolfenstein

Blow the dust off, lets get started.... B.J. aint gonna hold back.... why should I?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf_sm05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	39871

Wolfenstein is back, and they forgot about him!

My mod is going to take what influences and styles I can find online and incorporate them into a computer styled like the game.

Here are some of the shots and scenes I have found that I am using for inspiration:

Name:	wolf_sm01.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	39872

Name:	wolf_sm02.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	39873

Name:	wolf_sm03.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	39874

Name:	wolf_sm04.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	39875
    Think.... 60's military tech meets Steampunk...

So, prepare to take history on a ride down an alternate universe!!!!
    -=Tech-Daddy=-
    blingGreen, Lupine, BOSS FX-57, DSF... what's coming next? Stick around!
    http://www.tech-daddy.com

So..... no pics.... just news.... disassembly of the case, capturing of the screws, and some sweeeeeet ideas during the process!!!!
    You've seen cases gutted before, so there is no need to go into that. Tomorrow I break out the mad scientist in me!

Comment

Sooooo.... what happened from last Saturday to now? Well.... I told you steampunk meets 60's military tech...

I came up with the idea of building a sort of reactor type of "intake" on the front fan. So, off came the front, black fan, and it was replaced with one that reeks of "heat"

Name:	Wolf_build01.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	37855

This thing really glows a nice, rich, vibrant red.

Then... well... I had to put some sort of a grill over it, so I started bending tubing,

Name:	Wolf_build03.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	37856

*Then, I got the "bright" idea, "I gotta make those look like some sort of energy filled rod that has been damaged!" So I figured out a way to tear off the top of the tubing:

Name:	Wolf_build04.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	37857

Then I had some thin acrylic rods laying around... yeah, yeah... I know, what kind of person has acrylic rods laying around, for YEARS... waiting for the right time to use them... *me*, that's who! And they were the right diameter for these tubes! Match made in heaven!

Name:	Wolf_build07.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	37858

Then I found one of my test LED's laying about, and I applied it to the end of the acrylic rod... instant light pipe!

Name:	Wolf_build10.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	37859

Soooo, I built me a lot of them in various sizes,

Name:	Wolf_build16.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	37860

Then the fan needed a shroud, to make it look less "fan-ish", so I broke out the cardboard for a prototype, and got my shaping right:

Name:	Wolf_build17.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	37861

then got my measurements and cut the shape out of black acrylic. Put it under the hole saw for the fan diameter:

Name:	Wolf_build18.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	37862

Name:	Wolf_build19.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	37863

Name:	Wolf_build20.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	37864

Then drew out the side notches needed to pull the sides down:

Name:	Wolf_build21.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	37865

After I had those cut, I pulled the masking off, I placed the cut acrylic on a stack of dead 120mm fans, so that I could use their dimensions to properly fold the shroud. I used my heat gun with a flat attachment so that I could target the side edges of the bend, and heat only the acrylic that needed bending. When I started to see the acrylic move, I placed a glossy, paperback book on the top of the acrylic to keep the fan hole acrylic from moving while I bent the sides down using another thin, glossy book. And after a little while of moving around the acrylic... I ended up here:

Name:	Wolf_build23.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	37866

Name:	Wolf_build25.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	37867

So.... what's next? Well, I need to get the holes in the acrylic that are the right diameter for the tubing, and they need to be angled so that the tube entry is 90 degrees to the case front... and I have a sweet idea for that! Oh, and the light pipe color will likely be blue.... possibly a pulsing effect if I have time to put it in. More on the way!!!!
      tech-daddy
      Super Moderator
      Last edited by tech-daddy; 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Looking great Craig, .. yup I use my tummy as a bending tool also!

"Moddin' ... Ain't It Cool!"

Comment

Looks great man!

crap... I needed to kick mine up a notch now
          Cut it, Paint it, Mod it. Void Your Warranty
          #moddersinc @moddersinc
          youtube.com/c/moddersinc1
          twitter.com/moddersinc

Comment

Love the light tubes Craig, great idea! And I love how you guys are pushing each other to do better. Competition is a great motivator!
            www.bods-mods.com

Comment

Thank you Bod, and everyone else for following our mods. You are probably asking yourself... "Tech? Where the h*ll is the rest of your work log?"
              Well, since I know some of the final pics are starting to drift out there, I need to show you how I got to that point, and.... more importantly... where I am intending to go as I continue on this!

See, the great thing about this contest, is that I got to build something fun, cool, and energizing. Then I got to go to Quakecon and immerse myself in other modder inspirations and come away with more ideas of what I want to do! So.... I will be catching my log up to date with the final pics that are out there, and then explain where I am going to continue this mod. Just because Quakecon has come and gone, does not mean I'm stopping.... no no no.... Kinda like stomping on the accelerator of an old car, trying to clean out the gas and get the motor running.... well, that was the build *up* to Quakecon. MOre to come folks... more to come!

Oh, and Dewayne and Vic brought Effing BEAUTIFUL cases! They always bring such impressive cases!!!
              -=TD

Comment

Great job Craig. It was a great time out in Texas with you guys, waiting on next year

OH and BTW, the Dritter Wolf was pretty sweet

Comment

So, on the front bezel, there were these plastic ribs across the front air intake. These would have normally been covered by the speaker mesh metal grill, and the thin foam filter back liner to the metal mesh. But since I am stripping all of that out, these support ribs have to go. So I clipped them with my wire dikes, then a couple quick passes with some files:

Name:	Wolf_build27.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	37984

and voila!

Name:	Wolf_build39.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	37985

So, to continue on my vision of my shroud.... I thought about using it to semi create a false technology... heheheh! How vague is that! Well.... let me explain. The light pipes will be mounted over the fan, and from a visual perspective they will follow the up/down vertical lines of the case. Using a basic law of thermodynamics (heat rises) I wanted to make the "plasma" pipes look like they were taking cool plasma from the bottom of the pipe, circulating it over the heat source of the "reactor" (the intake fan) and then pumping heated plasma as some sort of alternate universe power source. So... to mount the light pipes to the shroud, I needed to eyeball where they were going to be mounted. I attached painters tape to the sides that I was going to push the pipes through:

Name:	Wolf_build28.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	37986

Then I put the pipes on the shroud and traced the perimeter of the pipes where they landed on the tape:

Name:	Wolf_build29.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	37987

Name:	Wolf_build30.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	37988

Then I took my drill, and found a super narrow spade bit that allowed me to make the holes through the faces of the shroud. This would be a two step process.
                  1) Drill the initial holes perpendicular to the angled surface of the shroud

Name:	Wolf_build31.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	37989

2) Taper the holes to make them perpendicular to the top.

Name:	Wolf_build32.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	37990

Name:	Wolf_build33.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	37991

the tapered holes allow for the proper passage of the light pipes:

Name:	Wolf_build34.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	37992

Name:	Wolf_build37.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	37993

Then I placed it over the fan to insure everything fit:

Name:	Wolf_build38.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	37994

Good fit!

While I was working on this part of the build, I remembered an old Cooler Master Musketeer III that I had in the garage. It was an audio filter to give warmth to digital music via a passthru tube amp. I used it just because of the VU meter and the working tube! Gave it a good 60's feel! So I broke it out to see if it would work with the build...

Name:	Wolf_build40.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	37995

Name:	Wolf_build41.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	37996
                  Yeah.... that will work nicely!!!

In order for the light pipes to work... well.... they need light! So I broke out the soldering iron and chained 2 sets of 3 LED's for each end of the pipes. Blue to simulate the colder plasma, and orange to simulate the heated plasma circulating up the pipe.
                  Theres the hot side:

Name:	Wolf_build42.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	37997

And the cold side:

Name:	Wolf_build43.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	37998

And when you tie the whole effect together with the fan, well, you end up here:

Name:	Wolf_build48.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	37999

Next update.... I take a trip to Home Depot for static vents... and I end up winding my way through an adjustable blast vent for the top exhaust, and covering it with faux metalwork!

Stay tuned!
                  -=TD

Comment

Nice work bro!

Comment

Looked really good at the show - great work man.

Comment

So, yeah.... these will be a little out of order since I am still showing everyone how I finished this thing....
                        But I have to have the final appearance pics of this computer up. So, the way Dritter Wolf looks *right now* is the following:

Name:	Wolf_final01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	38032

Name:	Wolf_final02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	38033

Name:	Wolf_final03.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	38034

Name:	Wolf_final04.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	38035

Name:	Wolf_final05.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	38036

Name:	Wolf_final06.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	38037

Name:	Wolf_final07.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	38038

Name:	Wolf_final08.jpg
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	38039

Name:	Wolf_final09.jpg
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	38040

Name:	Wolf_final10.jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	38041

Name:	Wolf_final11.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	38042

Name:	Wolf_final12.jpg
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	38043

Name:	Wolf_final13.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	38044

Name:	Wolf_final14.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	38045

Name:	Wolf_final15.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	38046

Comment

So, after I had my grand idea for a "reactor grill", I took a look at the top of the case where the exhaust was, and thought... "a blast vent.... yeah, that's what this thing needs!!!"
                          ... famous last words...
                          Before I dig into this, I want everyone to know that this one part ate up the majority of my build time and effort, and I will explain where I went wrong so that you may learn and not do the same thing I did!

So, in thinking about a blast vent, initially I was thinking about static, non moving vents, and I went out and bought a floor register:

Name:	Wolf_build49.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	38047

but the more I looked at the vent pattern, the more I liked the moving vents on the bottom:

Name:	Wolf_build50.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	38048

So I looked at the contraption, found that it had been spot welded in 8 places on the bottom. Inserted my screwdriver between the two pieces and worked them apart! ENded up here:

Name:	Wolf_build51.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	38049
                          and

Name:	Wolf_build52.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	38050

Took the bottom adjustable louver box, and placed it on top of the case. That is a pretty darned good fit!!!!

Name:	Wolf_build53.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	38051

Name:	Wolf_build54.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	38052

Name:	Wolf_build55.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	38053

So I trimmed up the side tabs a bit to make it fit better, and used some short strand fiberglass body filler. Spread that all along the sides to give it a firm attachment to the top. Then I turned it into a Canoli!!!!

Name:	Wolf_build59.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	38054

Name:	Wolf_build60.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	38055

See??!?! It does.... come on! You know it looks like it... what I was doing here was using spray foam. I used this to fill the sides of the blast vent to give it a more "curved" appearance. Had someone on Facebook tell me (after my initial fiberglass attachment of the two pieces), "You are going to have a square blast vent???" And I had to agree! So I had to fill the sides and build it up to look like it was channeling/vectoring some sort of exhaust, so I wanted to round it toward the vents. This foam (pardon my pun here) filled in quite nicely!

After it cures, it expands and hardens (2nd picture).
                          Use a body filer to remove the excess foam and shape it into what you need! *This* was where I made my mistake. If you do this, make sure you pud your fiberglass or body filler onto the foam immediately after shaving it! If you will notice in picture 2, the foam has a nice, solid, hard surface to it. Think of that non porous skin as the surface of a balloon. When you pull that skin off, the air goes out. Same principle here. Except after I shaved it, I went in and took a shower, went to bed! Came out the next night to put on my fiberglass, and the thing had deflated!!!! %&*_!_*@^%!*@&*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:	Wolf_build67.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	38056

So I had to foam it again, but this time seal it immediately after shaping it! Lesson learned!!!

Name:	Wolf_build78.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	38057

I then has big, thick, black sheets of styrene that I cut to fit the sides of the foam work. Then I used my heat gun to shape the straight panels of styrene into the curved/foamed base that they were going to be applied over. Then I put JB Weld on the bottoms of the sheets and glued them to the fiberglassed/foamed base. After that cured, I heated the styrene on the panels I had just laid down, in order to fold over the ends like the end of sheet metal. To give it more of a metal effect, I drilled holes and put in pop rivets to make more of an industrial look on the vent... and I ended up here after painting:

Name:	Wolf_build96.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	38058

Name:	Wolf_build97.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	38059

Name:	Wolf_build98.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	38060

Had to keep modding.... and had some exciting updates that were going to be my main exterior pieces...
                          More in the next update!!!!

Comment

Some great Ideas coming out of this Craig, Well done and dig the imagination as always!,,!, MOD ON ,!,,!

Comment

Looks great man! You know I would have never of thought about making blast doors.
                              Cut it, Paint it, Mod it. Void Your Warranty
                              #moddersinc @moddersinc
                              youtube.com/c/moddersinc1
                              twitter.com/moddersinc

Comment

Working...
                              X