Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys!!!
    Working on the overall case build, I have not spoken about my key external eye features on the case. I wanted the case to to not draw away from these 2 items. It took me a while to get them right and the files cleaned up enough for the cutting, and I have 2 very special friends (you know who you are) that helped me meet those goals. DXF/DWG file editing I simply did not have the tools to clean those up. I had all of my raster to vector conversion down... but still needed those files cleaned up. Once those CAD files were ready, it was a matter of finding a vendor that would water jet my small job. Most would not even touch it! Some out right talked me out of doing business with them. In the end, I found 2 very accommodating vendors willing to help me. One was local and the other was in Georgia (Yes, I looked that far!!)!

In the end I kept it local on the very real decision that I could not loose time in shipment. And if something was wrong, I'd need to try and fix it quickly.
    This was just after I picked up the final result of the waterjet work...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolf_build61.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	38064

As I get it home, I pull out the 5 beautiful 1/4" thick waterjet cut aluminium pieces:

Name:	Wolf_build64.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	38065

Name:	Wolf_build65.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	38066

MMMMmmmmMMMm.... that just looks beautiful!!!

So I mock it up on the side panels.... and the deep black makes the color difference very dramatic!!!

Name:	Wolf_build68.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	38067

Name:	Wolf_build69.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	38068

Love that look!
    Next, I started polishing the Wolfenstein logo. You can see what I started with... well here is a picture about 50% through the process:

Name:	Wolf_build71.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	38069

then about 70%. I put my drill bit locker on the aluminium to show the reflectivity:

Name:	Wolf_build72.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	38070

then on to the side of the case: I did not go for perfection, I wanted a little scuffing:

Name:	Wolf_build89.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	38071

Yummy!!!!!

Now, the word. I needed to back it, but I did not have time to come up with another cut design and have someone cut it, so I layed the word outline on some clear acrylic I had in the garage, placed a washer next to it, put my pencil in the washer, and use it to create a 1/8" gap between the outline and the pencil.

Name:	Wolf_build79.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	38072

After stripping off the protective paper, I sanded the clear acrylic to give it a smokey white appearance. I then clamped the ever luvin crap outta it and started filling each letter with clear resin. After I filled each letter about 1/2 way, I dropped in opaque red resin color, then used a razor to draw out the color through the letters. After that cured, I put another layer of clear resin on top of the color layer to lock it all in place.
    I couldn't take pictures during this process... probably should have had my wife out with me snapping shots... But I think you will see the coloring effect in the letters is very dramatic!

Name:	Wolf_build80.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	38073

Name:	Wolf_build81.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	38074

Name:	Wolf_final01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	38075

Name:	Wolf_final02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	38076

I simply love the way that came out! I learned some neat tidbits about resin casting, and I will be experimenting more with this technique in future builds!
    -=TD
    blingGreen, Lupine, BOSS FX-57, DSF... what's coming next? Stick around!
    http://www.tech-daddy.com

Comment

Good job bro

"Moddin' ... Ain't It Cool!"

Comment

Blast doors are cool - but the tid bit with the washer and pencil, now there is a trick I need to remember Thanks for that one dude. Awesome seeing how that work of art formed, keep it up. (Y)

Comment

Definitely turned out pretty bad ass. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
          X