QUAKECON GIVES BACK WITH LARGEST CHARITY INITIATIVE IN EVENT HISTORY
QuakeCon Celebrates 20 Years of Community Support with National and Local Charity Partners
In its landmark year, id® Software and Bethesda Softworks® are pleased to announce that QuakeCon® 2015 will play host to five charitable organizations as a special thank you to their valued community. id Software and Bethesda Softworks are partnering with the American Red Cross, Take This, Dallas Pets Alive, Extra Life, and DFW Nerd Night to commemorate the last 20 years of continued support for the annual event by giving back to the community that made it a success.
“The community has been the backbone of QuakeCon ever since the first gathering in 1996,” said Pete Hines, VP of PR and Marketing, Bethesda Softworks. “Now it’s our turn to show our appreciation by supporting some amazing organizations while giving something back to our ever-important supporters and fans.”
QuakeCon 2015, North America’s largest Bring-Your-Own-Computer (BYOC) LAN party and gaming festival, will host the charitable organizations at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Texas beginning Thursday, July 23 through Sunday, July 26. Check the listings below for more details on each of the charities present at this year’s QuakeCon.
● The American Red Cross will once again attend QuakeCon to collect blood to provide lifesaving contributions to people in need. Attendees who wish to donate blood can sign up with American Red Cross representatives in the Topaz room from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Friday, July 24 and Saturday, July 25. Donors who take part in the Blood Drive will receive a special gift to honor the donation while supplies last.
**Donors must be at least 17 years old and meet American Red Cross requirements for donating blood, which can be found at http://www.redcrossblood.org/
● Take This, a non-profit group dedicated to informing the video game community about mental health issues, will host its popular Away From Keyboard (AFK) Room for QuakeCon attendees for the first time. The AFK room provides a safe place to take a break from the hustle of the show between the hours of 12 p.m. – 8 p.m. from Thursday, July 23 through Saturday, July 25.
● Dallas Pets Alive, a local non-profit dedicated to promoting and providing the resources, education, and programs needed to eliminate the killing of companion animals, will be on hand with adoptable dogs, fun photo opportunities, and raffles. Attendees who adopt a pet or contribute a charitable donation will receive a small token of appreciation from “Vault-Tec Animal Friends” while supplies last. Visit Dallas Pets Alive in the Exhibit Hall (booth #303) throughout the event.
● Extra Life, a peer-to-peer fundraising group that raises money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals through the power of play, will be in attendance raising awareness and encouraging sign ups for Extra Life 2015, were you can play games for 24 hours to raise money for your local children’s hospital. Visit the Extra Life booth in the Exhibit Hall (booth #302) to sign up and support the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital of your choice
● DFW Nerd Night, a local, community driven organization that hosts gaming parties and events to help support their monthly charity of choice, will be on hand raising support for their July organization of choice, Big Brothers & Big Sisters of North Texas. Visit the Exhibit Hall (booth #205) to “Play Games and Help People”!