Hardware Installation and Clearance Compatibility
The default layout of the MasterBox 5 is just one way to install components inside, the rest of the pieces are reconfigurable in multiple ways in order to support a particular build or component. The 3.5″ hard drive cage, 5.25″ cage, 2.5″ mounting plate, and PSU cover all come off easily, held in place by screws. With the exception of the PSU cover which is made of plastic, all the other removable mounting cages are made of metal. Cooler Master offers these individual pieces separately as well, giving users the option to add-on mounting cages if they require so later on. Removing both the 5.25″ cage also extends motherboard support to EATX standards, although extra stand offs need to be purchased separately.
Front mounted radiator:
- 120mm fan x 2 / 140mm fan x 2/ 240mm radiator/ 280mm radiator
- 120mm fan x3 / 360mm radiator is supported if the 5.25″ drive cage is removed and the optional front fan bracket is used (accessory kit not included in default configuration and must be purchased separately).
- Rear 120mm fan / radiators supported
- 120 mm or 140mm fan / radiators supported
- There is 29mm of space between the ceiling and before the motherboard begins, hence the offset space is crucial for the 120mm fan / radiator. 140mm radiator possible but not possible unless the fan is mounted outside the case.
Video Card clearance:
- Since there is no HDD cage on the way, there is a 385mm clearance even with a radiator in the fan installed, more than enough for even an HD6990 video card which is 305mm long.
- Total clearance is 410mm
CPU Tower coolers:
- CPU heatsink height clearance is generous and was able to fit the 165mm tall NH-D15S.
- 167mm total height clearance
- Large CPU backplate cutout
3.5″ HDD installation:
- 3.5″ HDD cage is made of metal while the caddies are made of plastic, 3.5″ drive installation is tool-less
- The 3.5″ HDD cage can be moved back two spaces from the default position to provide front radiator / fan clearance.
- The 3.5″ HDD cage can be positioned up to three spaces up from the default position or additional 3.5″ HDD cages can be purchased to fully install up to eight 3.5″ HDDs.
- Installation is tool-free, simply requiring the 5.25″ device to be slid in place and locked with a built-in mechanism.
- Additional screws are available on the accessory package for further mounting reinforcement, especially for half-length devices such as fan controllers.
- One 2.5″ bracket is provided which supports up to two 2.5″ devices
- 2.5″ bracket can be installed one position down or one position up (after 5.25″ drive cage is removed), or behind the motherboard tray or on top of the 3.5″ HDD cage.
- Due to tight clearance on the bottom 2.5″ device, a straight angle SATA power/data cable is recommended.
- There are six routing holes in total, unobscured when 5.25″ drive cage is removed and the 2.5″ bracket is re-positioned.
- Behind the motherboard tray, there is 25mm of clearance for cable management, and on the PSU level, there is 35mm of clearance.
- 15 cable tie loops are built into the tray