When choosing a motherboard, some users make their choice based on the extra features and overall look of the board while others choose boards based purely on speed and performance. However, the extra features and speed come at a cost; price. Over the last few years, MSI has released a slew of motherboards that hit both ends of the spectrum as well as balance the features that user’s want along with good performance. The MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon is marketed to be in the middle ground and supposedly strikes a balance between performance and features all at a reasonable cost.
Review Sample Provided by: MSI
Product Name/Link to Website: MSI Z170 Gaming Pro Carbon
Product was given in exchange for work done to produce this review.
The MSI Dragon is not the promenent feature on the box. As the name implies, a carbon fiber bodied car is featured on the front of the box. While on the back a lot of information is presented about the special features and the specifications of the Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon.
Inside, you will find the motherboard protected from static discharge as it is wrapped in an anti-static bag. The accessories and manuals are under the motherboard in a separate compartment separated by a thin cardboard layer.
The accessories that are included with the MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon include a users guide, a quick start guide, I/O shield, SLI connector, SATA cables and a driver and software CD.
CPU• Supports 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7 processors, and Intel® Pentium® and Celeron® processors for Socket LGA1151
Chipset• Intel® Z170 Chipset
• 4 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 64GB
Slots• 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x0/x4 or x8/x8/x4 modes)
• 4 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
Onboard Graphics• 1 x HDMI™ port, support a maximum resolution of 4096×2160@24Hz,
• 1 x DVI-D port, support a maximum resolution of 1920×1200@60Hz
Multi-GPU• Supports 3-Way AMD® CrossFire™ Technology
• Supports 2-Way NVIDIA® SLI™ Technology
• Intel® Z170 Chipset
• 1 x SATAe port (PCIe 3.0 x2)*/ ***
* SATA5 and SATA6 ports will be unavailable when installing the M.2 module in M.2 slot.
• Intel® Z170 Chipset
USB• ASMedia® ASM1142 Chipset
– 2 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports on the back panel• Intel® Z170 Chipset
– 6 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through
the internal USB 3.1 Gen1 connectors)
– 8 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
Audio• Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
– 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
– Supports S/PDIF output
LAN • 1 x Intel® I219-V Gigabit LAN controller
Internal I/O Connectors– 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
– 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
– 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (2 ports reserved for SATA Express port)
– 1 x SATAe connector
– 2 x USB 2.0 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports)
– 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 connectors (supports additional 4 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports)
– 2 x 4-pin CPU fan connectors
– 3 x 4-pin system fan connectors
– 1 x Front panel audio connector
– 2 x Front panel connectors
– 1 x TPM module connector
– 1 x Chassis Intrusion connector
– 1 x Clear CMOS jumper
– 1 x TBT connector
Back Panel I/O Ports– 1 x PS/2 keyboard/ mouse port
– 4 x USB 2.0 ports
– 1 x DVI-D port
– 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 ports
– 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 port
– 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port
– 1 x HDMI™ port
– 1 x LAN (RJ45) port
– 1 x Optical S/PDIF OUT connector
– 5 x OFC audio jacks
|BIOS• 1 x 128 Mb flash|
• UEFI AMI BIOS
• ACPI 5.0, PnP 1.0a, SM BIOS 2.8
|Dimension• 12 in. x 9.6 in. (30.5 cm x 24.4 cm)|
• ATX Form Factor
|Mounting• 9 mounting holes|
Please realize that there is a certain risk involved with overclocking, including adjusting the setting in the BIOS or using the third-party overclocking tools. Overclocking may affect your system stability, or even cause damage to the components and devices of your system. It should be done at your own risk and expense. We are not responsible for possible damage caused by overclocking.
The specification is subject to change without notice in advance. The brand and product names are trademarks of their respective companies. Any configuration other than original product specification is not guaranteed.
***Specifications are provided by MSI and may be subject to change without notice.Article Index: >> A Closer Look At The MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard »